325 Bigsby Installation

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

geordie9

325 Bigsby Installation

Post by geordie9 »

Hi There,

I am going to install a Bigsby on my 325v63, and I have read that the new B5's are slightly longer than the older B5's from the "Lennon" era.

Consequently, as I understand it, the screw hole nearest to the bridge does not lie flush on the ramp, and some kind of standoff is needed to shim it, in order to be able to keep it from moving, and to screw it tight to the body of the guitar.

I see that the B50, which is the licensed version of the B5, is slightly shorter than the B5, and I'm guessing that it's a little closer in dimensions to the original B5 that Lennon installed. The B50 is 109.5mm long as opposed to the B5, which is 120.65mm.

Has anyone out there tried the B50 on a 325, and if so, how does it compare to the B5? I don't particularly like the Accent vibrato which is currently installed on the guitar, so just hoping to get an honest review of the pros and cons of both the B5 and B50.
Cheers,

Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 325 Bigsby Installation

Post by jps »

Some people cut off the high E side mounting screw extension and drill a hole for that screw under the area the spring sits on.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Whoa whoa whoa, why are you putting a Bigsby on a 325V63? You'll kill its value by drilling a hole in it. Why not sell it for a 325C58 or 325V59?
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

There's a lot of information regarding the installation of a Bigsby B5, much of it right here on this web site, including cutting off that forward tab/screw hole extention. What I haven't read before is the size description of the B50 -- I never really knew what this was (all about). Anyway, I have a B5 that I bought new off ebay some time ago with the intention of installing it on my Rick; I planned to cut off that forward tab where the screw goes.

So, seeing your length measurements of the B5 vs. B50, I measured mine just now. Mine measures about 109mm, yet I have no reason to believe it's a B50, and not a B5. The embossed "Bigsby" logo on the trem stands alone as the sole inscription, and does not have the "Licensed by" or whatever the smaller script says on the licensed version. I don't know what's going on, right now, and I'm curious. I'm wondering if the Licensed versions no longer have the "licensed" identifier on the Bigsby, and the seller shipped this in a B5 box to fake me out. (The box ID/bar code label: TP 3640-001 Bigsby B5 Tremolo Nickel, Made in USA. Main label: Bigsby True Vibrato Tailpiece, Model B5. Secondary label: "Distributed by ALLPARTS" Of course, this only proves that I have a genuine Bigsby B5 box.... :?

Anyway, if I position this 109mm Bigsby B5 on my Model 1996 (325), a small portion of that forward tab does extend slightly beyond the ramp, and confirms my decision to cut off the tab when I finally get around to installing it (vs. using a shim). I am assuming that the ramp has the same approximate dimensions on all similar Rick bodies....

I can't imagine being able to install a Bigsby that was 120mm long. Well, I can imagine it, and I think it would be a nightmare.

PS - The baggie that the Bigsby shipped in was "sealed" with a sticky label which read: 0495-B5CT
I think I'll check the Bigsby website, and maybe email them about the two models and their respective identifications.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:...I am assuming that the ramp has the same approximate dimensions on all similar Rick bodies....
I wouldn't. I have seen then with slightly various contours over the years.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I've been all over the Bigsby website. I cannot account for the 109mm length of my B5. I noted an error on the B5 blueprint (mm=44+), but the inches seem "correct" (4.75").

There is no contact telephone number, but there is a place to ask a question, but the form you have to fill out is almost like a job application with all the info you have to provide. I'm just not in the mood tonight; too intrusive.

Anyway, when I ordered my B5 on ebay, I wanted to ensure that it would fit my Rick, so I selected a vendor that stated in his narrative that this would fit a Rick (in addition to other guitars he mentioned, but I looked for/noted "Rickenbacker 325"). I don't think there could be two different versions of the B5; there was nothing on the web site that hinted at that; doesn't seem even remotely possible.

BTW, I did a search of the ID number on the sticky label that sealed the baggie that the Bigsby came in, and that number relates to the B5 (and not the B50).

I don't have a B50 "licensed" version that I could measure.... That could/would be interesting. Maybe that's also shorter in length than the stated dimension....
geordie9

Post by geordie9 »

When you put it like that, perhaps you're right. No sense in modding a guitar that would probably fetch more in its' original condition, if I ever decided to sell it. Never thought about that, to be honest, so thanks for the reminder!

Having said that, the original owner has slightly modded this guitar by changing the 12K "hot" toasters for the 7.4k scatterwounds. He did, however, give me the 12K toasters as part of the deal, so it can be restored to stock if need be.

I'd like to have a 325C58 someday, but at the prices that they are going for at the moment, I can't see it happening in the very near future. I might have to start culling the herd to raise the money.

jdogric12 wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, why are you putting a Bigsby on a 325V63? You'll kill its value by drilling a hole in it. Why not sell it for a 325C58 or 325V59?
Cheers,

Steve
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
geordie9

Post by geordie9 »

I'm wondering if your B5 is NOS? That is the only thing that I can think of, as clearly, the older B5's seemed to be shorter than the newer models.

That 109.5mm measurement is clearly a B50, based on current productions (the blueprints for both are on the bigsby site), so the only answer that I can think of is that you have received an old B5 in its original packaging, and with the older dimensions.

maxwell wrote:I've been all over the Bigsby website. I cannot account for the 109mm length of my B5. I noted an error on the B5 blueprint (mm=44+), but the inches seem "correct" (4.75").

There is no contact telephone number, but there is a place to ask a question, but the form you have to fill out is almost like a job application with all the info you have to provide. I'm just not in the mood tonight; too intrusive.

Anyway, when I ordered my B5 on ebay, I wanted to ensure that it would fit my Rick, so I selected a vendor that stated in his narrative that this would fit a Rick (in addition to other guitars he mentioned, but I looked for/noted "Rickenbacker 325"). I don't think there could be two different versions of the B5; there was nothing on the web site that hinted at that; doesn't seem even remotely possible.

BTW, I did a search of the ID number on the sticky label that sealed the baggie that the Bigsby came in, and that number relates to the B5 (and not the B50).

I don't have a B50 "licensed" version that I could measure.... That could/would be interesting. Maybe that's also shorter in length than the stated dimension....
Cheers,

Steve
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Original solder joints really only matter on real vintage instruments. If they're done well, they shouldn't be a big deal on a reissue. The Bigsby addition is a nonreversible mod though.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”