Setup recommendations 360/12

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

TBurst Std

Setup recommendations 360/12

Post by TBurst Std »

Just acquired a 2009 Ric 360/12. As this is my first Ric, I am looking for insight.
Going to be cleaning it tonight and putting new strings on it.
What is it that I don't know yet?
What are some reasonable measurements for relief and action?
Overall its in good condition, I have noticed the bridge is tilted and will be addressing that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Setup recommendations 360/12

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome and congrats!

Um, let's see...

These are guidelines, not rules:

don't take all the strings off at once
learn to make proper truss rod adjustments
don't use any creative polishing products (Maguire SwirlX and Zymol are good)
don't leave it in the sun
don't lean it against the wall for 3 months

Have fun!
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I always change strings in this order

E, E octave, A, A octave , D, D octave, lower 3 from outside to middle, and then
High E's, B's, G octave and G upper 3 from outside to middle.

Works very logical and without confusion.

Don't remove all of the strings, it's a pain to install them that way.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Here is a way you can do it, and:
-never have more than 2 strings off at a time
-not have to tuck strings under slotted strings at the headstock
-works for R tailpiece, not trapeze
jdogric12 wrote:1 is the low E, 12 is the outer high E.

12 off/on
10 off
11 off/on
10 on
8 off
9 off/on
8 on
7 off/on
Halfway done!
6 off/on
5 off
4 off/on
5 on
3 off
2 off/on
3 on
1 off/on
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:Here is a way you can do it, and:
-never have more than 2 strings off at a time
-not have to tuck strings under slotted strings at the headstock
-works for R tailpiece, not trapeze
jdogric12 wrote:1 is the low E, 12 is the outer high E.

12 off/on
10 off
11 off/on
10 on
8 off
9 off/on
8 on
7 off/on
Halfway done!
6 off/on
5 off
4 off/on
5 on
3 off
2 off/on
3 on
1 off/on
This will help, too.
Decoder.jpg
collin

Post by collin »

and don't be afraid to experiment with super light gauge strings. The way you play a 12-string is entirely different from a six-string guitar and lighter strings are easier to play, easier on the guitar and don't suffer any tone loss.

I also don't buy the hype on flatwound strings, I prefer roundwound.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Collin,

Have you tried POTR's Compressed Wound 12-string set? A bit pricier than D'Addario or Curt Mangan roundwounds, but less than half the price of a TI Flats set. As I'm sure you know, these are close to the stock strings that used to come from the factory, and, in some ways, I think they do combine the best qualities of flats and rounds. When you talk about using lighter strings, exactly what brand(s) and gauges do you mean? Are you ever bothered by the routine rattles and finger-squeaks that rounds tend to produce, particularly on that G-pair, where the low course and octave tend to strike one another, creating what sounds suspiciously like fret buzz?

Robert
collin

Post by collin »

Folkie wrote:Collin,

Have you tried POTR's Compressed Wound 12-string set? A bit pricier than D'Addario or Curt Mangan roundwounds, but less than half the price of a TI Flats set. As I'm sure you know, these are close to the stock strings that used to come from the factory, and, in some ways, I think they do combine the best qualities of flats and rounds. When you talk about using lighter strings, exactly what brand(s) and gauges do you mean? Are you ever bothered by the routine rattles and finger-squeaks that rounds tend to produce, particularly on that G-pair, where the low course and octave tend to strike one another, creating what sounds suspiciously like fret buzz?

Robert
I can't stand the way that flatwound strings feel, they sound lifeless to me, and they're expensive. I don't see the point when I prefer roundwound at a fraction of the price.

Either I don't experience the squeaks you describe, or I don't hear them. It's not much of an issue.

I make my own string sets out of a 3-pack of D'addario super light 6-string sets. I don't have the exact combos handy, but it's 42-9s. I'd go even lighter if D'Addario made a set of 8s.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario/EX ... -3-Pack.gc
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Interesting, Collin! How do the lighter strings affect the action on a 12-string? Do you do a lot of half-step bends (a la Roger McGuinn)? What about string longevity? As you know, one of the ways a lot of us justify spending four times as much as normal on a set of TI Flats, is that we tell ourselves the set will last two years. Is there any premature string-wear on the lighter rounds? Do you break them more often?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

collin wrote:
Folkie wrote:Collin,

Robert
I can't stand the way that flatwound strings feel, they sound lifeless to me, and they're expensive. I don't see the point when I prefer roundwound at a fraction of the price.

Either I don't experience the squeaks you describe, or I don't hear them. It's not much of an issue.

I make my own string sets out of a 3-pack of D'addario super light 6-string sets. I don't have the exact combos handy, but it's 42-9s. I'd go even lighter if D'Addario made a set of 8s.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario/EX ... -3-Pack.gc
Flatwounds do tend to sound lifeless, still the combination with the octaves and toasters is what creates that typical sound.
I find fresh roundwounds to sound too bright for a 12er with toasters, though I prefer an old, used set of these to flatwounds.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I really wonder about flats - I also notice the "lifeless" thing, but then, there is the argument "that's all they had in the 60's" and they got all that bright jangly music. Is it possible that NO one today is making them "like they used to?" Sorry for all the quotation marks lol
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

They had treble boosters, bass cutting capacitors, presence knobs etc
I don't like flats on a 6 string or a bass, but do find round wounds too bright for a 12er
collin

Post by collin »

wim wrote: Flatwounds do tend to sound lifeless, still the combination with the octaves and toasters is what creates that typical sound.
I find fresh roundwounds to sound too bright for a 12er with toasters, though I prefer an old, used set of these to flatwounds.
There's a lot of other factors in the "brightness" equation than just the strings, like the guitar itself and amp etc. All of my Ricks are vintage, pre-74 so perhaps they aren't as bright as newer ones? Not sure
jdogric12 wrote:I really wonder about flats - I also notice the "lifeless" thing, but then, there is the argument "that's all they had in the 60's" and they got all that bright jangly music. Is it possible that NO one today is making them "like they used to?" Sorry for all the quotation marks lol
If you're really chasing what "they had in the 60s," it would only be fair to compare to life performances (which usually had poor recording quality). Studios had all sorts of compressors and other analog recording gear that influenced the jangle likely far more than the strings did, IMO.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:If you're really chasing what "they had in the 60s," it would only be fair to compare to life performances (which usually had poor recording quality). Studios had all sorts of compressors and other analog recording gear that influenced the jangle likely far more than the strings did, IMO.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking. Even just turning my 370RM up to position 6 on the E1 circuit is ear-piercing. And likely accurate! LOL
TBurst Std

Post by TBurst Std »

OK just restrung it, with the same make/type gauge strings as I had on it.
The Low E keeps popping out of the nut now. Is it that sensitive to being would down to the bottom of the post?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”