Desparately seeking..

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

autumnglo

Desparately seeking..

Post by autumnglo »

Hi All

New here so first post.

I have a very specific bee in my bonnet which basically involves once again owning the guitar I owned and loved for 3 or 4 years from 1983 - or at least the same model. To turn up the original item would be a miracle indeed although I would recognise it if it were to emerge!

That guitar being a Rickenbacker 330 in Autumnglo (Matte not gloss so potential for confusion here) with black pickguard and white on black truss rod cover but chrome (not black) hardware.

I was a mere teen back then and whilst I loved the guitar unfortunately sold it to fund some shenanigans round Europe.

Now as I can't even find a photo of a similar model on google I think I may be in for a search and as there seems to be some confusion over whether or not Autumnglo Matte was even an option back then (the guitar was bought new) I think that search might be complicated.

Any advice or leads greatly appreciated!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Desparately seeking..

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome! The RRF register has 2 from 1980, so I think it's reasonable to assume yours was indeed an '81 Autumnglo.

It is unlikely you'll find the exact guitar, but it DOES happen... check for a thread here where RRF member (and former RIC employee) Kenny Howes got similarly reacquainted with an old axe - of similar vintage and color as yours even! I think his was a walnut though, not AG.

If you want it sooner than later, get any old 330 and have Larry Davis refin it for you. Davis Guitar Works. He's THE guy for refinishing Ricks. Good luck!
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

Thanks jdogric12 and thanks for your suggestions.

I'd love to consider getting one refinished but unfortunately I'm in the UK (which I probably should have mentioned).

I've just discovered the register so will scan through that!

I think there is some confusion about Walnut vs Autumnglo which I may have to clear up.

I certainly would love to find the original - I reckon it's not impossible. rare colour only produced for a bit and I know how I could identify it by a particular mark it had! Fingers crossed.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Not what you're after, but the same color combo & era:

https://reverb.com/item/6773387-rare-19 ... hsc-330-12
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

Yes I saw that one. Nice! I looked into buying it bit it would cost over £2k landed (that’s with having negotiated a hefty discount from the vendor (who bought it a few months ago for $1300 I think!)

I still have dreams of finding my original one!
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

But you are right! Right era and right colour!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

My six string is from 1980. Pretty rare to find and I'm very happy to have it.
IMG_3423.jpg
They do gain a sheen with age and using a polish to clean them.
IMG_3451.jpg
But a closer look shows the matte finish.
IMG_3449.jpg
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

Beautiful!
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

autumnglo wrote:Beautiful!

Thanks Rudy.

Colour hues vary over the years, but I really like the dark ones. For comparison, here's Autumglo, Walnut and Fireglo (all 1980).
IMG_3860.JPG
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

Lord, what riches!
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

If this thread keeps going too much longer I may just have to re-think my love for Maple.. those are beautiful! Specially the one in the Reverb ad.
autumnglo

Post by autumnglo »

He’s open to an offer on that Reverb 340/12, Kevin.

The only reason i’m not going for it is the import costs and as he doesn’t ship to the US i’d have to find a friend in the us willing to take it and ship it to me. I think that might also involve getting a CITES certificate.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”