Humbucker help

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JFinelli81

Humbucker help

Post by JFinelli81 »

I saw there was a similar thread going but I don't want to hijack.

I have a Rick 330 which I love. However, I am interested in Humbuckers. I went to the store and tried a bunch of SG's and LP's and I really just don't like quite a bit of about the Gibson's. There's too much I don't like to warrant spending that kind of money. I really like the Rick's alot.

I'm interested in a solid body 620 or similar. I can find bits and pieces of people putting HB's into them. Being pretty new to playing the guitar, Can anyone explain to me what it takes to do this? I saw soemone on here makes a wiring kit for it? Does the body need to be routed out? Anything else I should know about? I can get a 620 on ebay for around $1200.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Humbucker help

Post by jdogric12 »

Use Rickenbacker HB's and it's a totally reversible mod. Get a 650 and you don't have to do anything! :)

But please don't be one of those people that routes a perfectly good 330 or 360 or 620 to put big fat non-Rick humbuckers in there. It's so sad to see that on ebay and reverb!
JFinelli81

Post by JFinelli81 »

I was coming back here to report that I called Rickenbacker and they told me the exact same thing that you just said. I'll look further into the 620 with the HB1's
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cool!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:Use Rickenbacker HB's and it's a totally reversible mod. Get a 650 and you don't have to do anything! :)

But please don't be one of those people that routes a perfectly good 330 or 360 or 620 to put big fat non-Rick humbuckers in there. It's so sad to see that on ebay and reverb!
JFinelli81 wrote:I was coming back here to report that I called Rickenbacker and they told me the exact same thing that you just said. I'll look further into the 620 with the HB1's
Hmm, Jason is RIC customer service? :shock:
Last edited by jps on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFinelli81

Post by JFinelli81 »

The guy at Rick Left out the part about routed and aborted Ebay guitars :wink:
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

HB1's are great pickups, but they tend to sound a bit dull with the stock single coil specific wiring, plus while HB1 pickup leads will facilitate coil tapping, RIC has never set up their wiring to do this. I build custom wiring harness for RIC guitars and basses that can remedy these issues. PM me for details if you're interested.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep - just last night I was prepping for a gig later this week where I'll be playing lead guitar on some rock stuff. The 650A with its new Dane harness sounds freakin' amazing. I've owned several 650's: a couple A's and a couple S's, and never kept them long because they just sounded wimpy somehow. This one is perfect. Just needs a HiTek vibrato now LOL
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:///This one is perfect. Just needs a HiTek vibrato now LOL
You could put in one of these...........................

https://www.kahlerusa.com/flat-mount-tr ... s-6-string

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Floyd-Rose/ ... %7CClickCP

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections ... ght-handed

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”