Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Postby (holmcross) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't have any intonation problems on my Ric 330 but I've always thought it was a little too "plinky" sounding, and my impression is that it has to do with those thin and long saddles on the bridge.

Anyone whose tried a mastery bridge care to weigh in?

And as I'm relatively new Rick owner (inherited it) I wanted to know ... do you think it's safe to press down on the floating tail to get a whammy effect? I like doing that every so often.
(holmcross)

Re: Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Postby (jps) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:03 pm

holmcross wrote:I don't have any intonation problems on my Ric 330 but I've always thought it was a little too "plinky" sounding, and my impression is that it has to do with those thin and long saddles on the bridge.
Any real evidence to back that up with? :?

holmcross wrote:And as I'm relatively new Rick owner (inherited it) I wanted to know ... do you think it's safe to press down on the floating tail to get a whammy effect? I like doing that every so often.
IF you plan to do that replace the R tailpiece with a trapeze one. The trapeze tailpiece shouldn't break but something else might, so, with that in mind, let us know how it works out. 8)
(Insert famous quote here)
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Postby (holmcross) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Any real evidence to back that up with? :?

Haha, none whatsoever. Just my hunch. Those saddles just seem kind of weak. I couldn't be totally wrong.

Thanks for the tip about the tail piece! I do love the way the R one looks, though.
(holmcross)

Postby (Jubal81) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 pm

I've had the Mastery bridge for a few years on my 620 and love it. Got it because the screws on the standard bridge would work their way loose a bit and start rattling/buzzing. I didn't expect the guitar to sound different, but it was noticeable - deeper and richer to my ears. I like it.
(Jubal81)

Return to Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons