Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

holmcross

Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Post by holmcross »

I don't have any intonation problems on my Ric 330 but I've always thought it was a little too "plinky" sounding, and my impression is that it has to do with those thin and long saddles on the bridge.

Anyone whose tried a mastery bridge care to weigh in?

And as I'm relatively new Rick owner (inherited it) I wanted to know ... do you think it's safe to press down on the floating tail to get a whammy effect? I like doing that every so often.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Anyone try the m5 mastery bridge out?

Post by jps »

holmcross wrote:I don't have any intonation problems on my Ric 330 but I've always thought it was a little too "plinky" sounding, and my impression is that it has to do with those thin and long saddles on the bridge.
Any real evidence to back that up with? :?
holmcross wrote:And as I'm relatively new Rick owner (inherited it) I wanted to know ... do you think it's safe to press down on the floating tail to get a whammy effect? I like doing that every so often.
IF you plan to do that replace the R tailpiece with a trapeze one. The trapeze tailpiece shouldn't break but something else might, so, with that in mind, let us know how it works out. 8)
holmcross

Post by holmcross »

Any real evidence to back that up with? :?
Haha, none whatsoever. Just my hunch. Those saddles just seem kind of weak. I couldn't be totally wrong.

Thanks for the tip about the tail piece! I do love the way the R one looks, though.
Jubal81

Post by Jubal81 »

I've had the Mastery bridge for a few years on my 620 and love it. Got it because the screws on the standard bridge would work their way loose a bit and start rattling/buzzing. I didn't expect the guitar to sound different, but it was noticeable - deeper and richer to my ears. I like it.
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

I ordered one for my 2010 360/6 and it should be arriving here any day. If anyone is interested, I'll shoot a quick before/after comparison with same strings, etc., to see what the audible difference is unplugged and plugged.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Welcome Jerry. Thanks, please do! Curious to hear the results. I like the Mastery I put on my Jazzmaster.
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

Okay, got the Mastery M5 bridge installed yesterday and did a quick before/after video for comparison. Acoustic only... I intended to do one plugged in as well, but as luck would have it we had a power outage that caused a change in plans.

In any case, you can view it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMsDpFW4eBs. Apologize in advance for the playing and I was still getting the setup dialed in.

My impressions: It does seem to sound a little brighter with a little more sustain. Not a dramatic change, but a noticeable one. A similar change to going from moderately used strings to new ones. Besides hearing a difference, you can feel a slight difference as you play, a little more resonant and solid in your hands.

One thing for sure, it is really well made. Feels like a quality piece of metal. Adjustments are a little easier to make (you can adjust intonation with the strings under tension, which is nice). Installation was pretty easy.

All in all, it's a subtle but nice upgrade. Not a complete transformation but definitely worth doing if you're looking for that little bit extra.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

blueburst330 wrote: Adjustments are a little easier to make (you can adjust intonation with the strings under tension, which is nice).
You can adjust the intonation on any stock Rickenbacker bridge with the strings under tension. As well made as the Mastery is, it stops short with only two saddles that make it impossible to precisely set the intonation on the A & B strings. The two saddles also have the string grooves all in the same plane instead of an arc like a stock bridge.
blueburst330

Post by blueburst330 »

aceonbass wrote:
blueburst330 wrote: Adjustments are a little easier to make (you can adjust intonation with the strings under tension, which is nice).
You can adjust the intonation on any stock Rickenbacker bridge with the strings under tension. As well made as the Mastery is, it stops short with only two saddles that make it impossible to precisely set the intonation on the A & B strings. The two saddles also have the string grooves all in the same plane instead of an arc like a stock bridge.
Absolutely, sure thing. I just find that with the factory bridge and string at tension on the saddle on some of my Rics, occasionally the screw backs out of the bridge instead of the saddle moving. Especially with wound strings, most often on my 12s. I end up loosening the string tension and moving the string off the saddle, adjusting, then putting them back. No big deal for sure. The Mastery saddles just move pretty easily under tension.

Yes, they are not six independent saddles, but the angled saddle pattern on my factory 360 before Mastery installation looked very much like the angled Mastery saddles pattern (essentially two inline sets of three), so it has worked out pretty darn close to the same and the adjustments to match the radius work pretty well. Maybe everyone wouldn't have the same experience (perhaps different string set gauges would have different results?), but for mine it worked out. Having played this particular 360 both ways now, I'm keeping the Mastery M5 on there.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”