Truss rod cover fit question

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

March Hare

Truss rod cover fit question

Post by March Hare »

Gang,

I have a recent production 360/12 that I've put toasters on, and would like to get a painted-style TRC for. Is there a reason that a mid-60s cover would not fit? My cover is 28mm between the screws against the nut, then 127mm to the other screw. The cover it came with (raised-style lettering) isn't beveled or cut at all like they used to be, and the strings bind on the cover...

thanks,
Doug
collin

Re: Truss rod cover fit question

Post by collin »

A 60s-70s plexi style TRC will not fit a modern (80s-present) raised-letter style TRC footprint.

The width is usually fine and the two screws near the nut usually fit, but the length is almost invariably different and you would need to drill another hole in the headstock to fit the tip end screw.

I suggest buying a modern era reissue TRC in plexi for a better fit to the existing footprint .
March Hare

Post by March Hare »

collin wrote:I suggest buying a modern era reissue TRC in plexi for a better fit to the existing footprint .
Thanks. Something like a TRC off of a McGuinn model?
collin

Post by collin »

March Hare wrote:
collin wrote:I suggest buying a modern era reissue TRC in plexi for a better fit to the existing footprint .
Thanks. Something like a TRC off of a McGuinn model?
That might work, just be prepared in case it still doesn't fit. If anything, the plexi TRCs are longer than the raised-letter type, so if it still doesn't fit, the plexi still covers the original footprint.

Then you could decide to either drill a new hole for the tip end, or get crafty (perhaps mild double-stick tape on the tip end, with a "dummy" screw head cut-off and glued to the TRC).
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I found that the mid '60 TRC I have fit my '15 4004L just fine, but of course, that was probably down to my great charm, if nothing else.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”