Does Ric 12 string placement make a difference to sound?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wim
Intermediate Member

Re: Does Ric 12 string placement make a difference to sound?

Post by wim »

Jangle was interested in the difference, just letting him know how to hear it without having to replace the nut.

As for the tension remark, I did the comparison test (not scientifically of course)
The ti's might have less tension, it won't be much. The neck takes on about the same angle as with the pyramids, which almost causes heart failure when I see it, so I tune down a half note anyway.
The ti's feel and sound superior to the pyramids, that's certain.
Guitar is a 2000 Carl Wilson
teb
Advanced Member

Re: Does Ric 12 string placement make a difference to sound?

Post by teb »

Mine (360/12, 660/12, and the current pair 370/12WB with about $700 worth of Arnquist mods and a 340/12) have all ended up with TI jazz flats at normal pitch and won't likely ever go back to anything else. The place I most dramatically saw the difference in tension was my eight string bass. I own a mint 1969 Hagstrom eight string. I put a set of TI flats on it for the primary strings and had some left over Pyramid guitar flats that I put on it for the octave strings. By the time I got the bass up to pitch it was like a cheese grater on your fingers. So, the Pyramids came off and I ordered individual TI flats from Just Strings. Problem solved and playability restored.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”