Beginning to crave another Ric....do I need a 330?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RicUpNorth

Beginning to crave another Ric....do I need a 330?

Post by RicUpNorth »

Hello, and I’m now happy to be a part of this forum. Long time lurker, so I figured I needed an account. Also planning to get my 620 into the database.

I’ve owned two Rickenbacker guitars in my life, spanning nearly two decades. My first was “the one that got away.” I had an ‘88 midnight blue 610 that played like a dream and had the most unique tone of any guitar I’ve owned. I found it used for $800 in the mid 90s when 80s axes were out of fashion. I never loved the color, but it didn’t matter with how it played and the tone. Also, growing up a Tom Petty die hard, it was a Rickenbacker like he had. Sadly, when I was playing a bit heavier music I traded it towards a Gibson in a foolish move.

A few years after that, also when I quit touring, I put in an order for the Ric I had always dreamed of. A Fireglo 620 (ala **** The Torpedoes cover). It came in somewhere around a year and a half later. I went to the store to try it out, and came home with the most beautiful (and only pro level guitar I’ve bought new) guitar I’ve ever held. It turns 10 this year, and now has a few little bumps and bruises (though not many, it’s my baby!). Through any of my three amps it screams, and is so responsive. It still has that Ric tone; definitely helping my tone to be a bit different than most. Lately I’ve been playing it daily, which says a lot when I’m a stay at home parent with a two year old.

I’ve been starting to crave another Ric.....preferably a 300 series. After heavily weighing features and options I’d likely go for a 330, also in Fireglo. I do enjoy running my 620 in stereo, but realistically doubt I’d ever use it live when I get to that point again. I have felt since purchasing my 620 that I preferred the neck on my 610 without binding (not that my 620 has a bad neck). I also like the pointy body over the rounded 360 body. Then, the 330 is also considerably cheaper. I contacted my Ric dealer and they already got me a price and said about 9 months to order one in. It’ll take me at least that to save up for it....help talk me out of another sound investment! (Or into it?)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Beginning to crave another Ric....do I need a 330?

Post by jdogric12 »

Get yourself a late 80's 330 (MG/BT comes to mind) and thank me later. You'll get that great neck you remember, and save a few bucks. And if you really want stereo, it's not that difficult a conversion.

Welcome! :)
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

jdogric12 wrote:Get yourself a late 80's 330 (MG/BT comes to mind) and thank me later. You'll get that great neck you remember, and save a few bucks. And if you really want stereo, it's not that difficult a conversion.

Welcome! :)
I would love that! Where have you found the 80's Rics cheaper than a new one? I've searched everywhere and the best price I can find is $100 more than buying a new one! Maybe my dealer is giving me a returning customer price, but I doubt that! I would go for a MG finish if it saved me some money and was a vintage or 80s 330.

I've actually considered modding it to a stereo jack, but as rarely as I use it I don't know it'd be worth the trouble. Maybe down the road.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I'm very pleased about my walnut 330.
It is the best rickenbacker I've ever played.
Pro:

No worries oil finish - better playability on fretboard
Superb acoustic sound
good versatility with toaster in neck and hb1 in bridge positions
Light
Beautiful

Con:

Comes with hi gain pickups - really
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

wim wrote:I'm very pleased about my walnut 330.
Pro:

Superb acoustic sound
Light
Beautiful

Con:

Oh man! Making me go and second guess my finish choice. I've always loved the look of the walnut bodies to be honest. The maple neck is also a beautiful contrast.

What don't you like about the hi-gains that you get from the toasters? I know this is a highly contentious argument/talk on the board.....it took me some time to get an amp/dial in a tone with the hi-gains in my 620, but I have grown quite happy with them.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

RicUpNorth wrote:
Pro:

Superb acoustic sound
Light
Beautiful

Con:

Oh man! Making me go and second guess my finish choice. I've always loved the look of the walnut bodies to be honest. The maple neck is also a beautiful contrast.

What don't you like about the hi-gains that you get from the toasters? I know this is a highly contentious argument/talk on the board.....it took me some time to get an amp/dial in a tone with the hi-gains in my 620, but I have grown quite happy with them.
The guitar had more in it than the hi gains could deliver.
It sounded rickenbacker alright, but now it sounds much richer, more vibrant, bluesy, jazzy
In fact, to me it this setup translates the acoustic sound perfectly into an amplified sound, with added depth of course
scotty

Post by scotty »

Who waits 9 months on a 330?
Just find a decent second-hand 330 and I am also of the opinion that a late 80s or early 90s would tick all your boxes.
Furthermore YES you do need a another 330.
Welcome to the RRF.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

wim wrote:
RicUpNorth wrote:
Pro:

Superb acoustic sound
Light
Beautiful

Con:

The guitar had more in it than the hi gains could deliver.
It sounded rickenbacker alright, but now it sounds much richer, more vibrant, bluesy, jazzy
In fact, to me it this setup translates the acoustic sound perfectly into an amplified sound, with added depth of course
Good to hear. I have always considered the toasters for the vintage sound, I just have a hard time spending $300 without knowing what the difference will be. Next time I am in the Twin Cities I will have to see if there's a Ric in stock with toasters just to get an idea and compare. I do like how they look better also! I will admit though, I get a lot of bit and clarity through my hi-gains going through my Bad Cat....
scotty wrote:Who waits 9 months on a 330?
Just find a decent second-hand 330 and I am also of the opinion that a late 80s or early 90s would tick all your boxes.
Furthermore YES you do need a another 330.
Welcome to the RRF.
To be fair, they said it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 months and likely sooner than later. I wouldn't take issue with not having to wait, but for the price I am okay with waiting to get the exact guitar I want.

I'm completely okay with a used Ric, but I haven't found a single 330 for less than what I was quoted for a new one?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I wouldn't pay more than $1K for a 330 in decent shape. You just have to be a little patient and wait for one to come along and snatch it up quick. It can be done. New ones list at 1999, so you figure a dealer will charge about 70% of that, that's still 1400.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jdogric12 wrote:I wouldn't pay more than $1K for a 330 in decent shape.
Prices for 2nd hand Rickies have been quite insane in the last year. 330s here in Europe now go for more than what my last 360 cost me 2nd hand. If I were in the market for another one I'd wait, due to insane pricing.
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

electrofaro wrote:
Prices for 2nd hand Rickies have been quite insane in the last year. 330s here in Europe now go for more than what my last 360 cost me 2nd hand. If I were in the market for another one I'd wait, due to insane pricing.
That’s about the pricing I have been seeing as well. Unless it’s a 25+ year old Ric I have a hard time paying the same price as a new one would cost. Thankfully I have at least a few months to save up before I’ll be seriously making offers.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

electrofaro wrote:
I paid my 330w 1100 euro two years ago, in the Netherlands.
It was then 2 years old.
If you look carefully and act fast, it can be done
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

330 in FireGlo...you've made the right choice.

I am small potatoes here...I merely have three Rickenbackers. I have the classic FireGlo 360 12 string, the Lennon 325, and a Midnight Blue 330. Now of those three, the grab and play guitar is the 330. The others are specialty guitars, the 330 is simply a guitar. And a great one. You really have chosen wisely. You will love your 330.

The blue guy in this pic gets the most play:

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Tommy wrote:I am small potatoes here...I merely have three Rickenbackers.

Don't put yourself down... we all start somewhere!!! :wink:
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Tommy wrote:330 in FireGlo...you've made the right choice.

I am small potatoes here...I merely have three Rickenbackers. I have the classic FireGlo 360 12 string, the Lennon 325, and a Midnight Blue 330. Now of those three, the grab and play guitar is the 330. The others are specialty guitars, the 330 is simply a guitar. And a great one. You really have chosen wisely. You will love your 330.

The blue guy in this pic gets the most play:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Three is a lot to some of us, don’t sell yourself short. I’d like to add the 330....after that either a 650 in Fireglo or a Mapleglo 360/12. That’s my short list....for the time being.

Listed some other gear odds and ends today to start funding my Ric, my wife won’t let me near the credit card.....

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”