New Member, non-owner, need help!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

biglionfan

New Member, non-owner, need help!!

Post by biglionfan »

Greetings everyone, I'm a new member, and thinking of getting my first Rick. What I've found is that the types available are a bit overwhelming, and I don't have a nearby dealer, so I'm looking for some help/education.

I'm looking for a full size 6 string with 3 pickups. I was looking at a 340 (with the higher gain pickup), but in general like that general style. A quick look on e-bay showed at least 9+ different model numbers that have that general spec. I know some of those are the short scale, and I don't want that.

So can the gang here help me out with some comments on the various types that may fit what I need and what's specific about those models? Also, any they recommend, or those they don't recommend, for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: New Member, non-owner, need help!!

Post by Tommy »

You sure you want a three pickup Ric? One of my Rics has three pickups and my guitar pick when I am strumming always hits that middle pickup. Most annoying. That doesn't happen on my 3 pickup Strat. Does happen on a 3 pickup Ric.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

biglionfan wrote:Greetings everyone, I'm a new member, and thinking of getting my first Rick. What I've found is that the types available are a bit overwhelming, and I don't have a nearby dealer, so I'm looking for some help/education.

I'm looking for a full size 6 string with 3 pickups. I was looking at a 340 (with the higher gain pickup), but in general like that general style. A quick look on e-bay showed at least 9+ different model numbers that have that general spec. I know some of those are the short scale, and I don't want that.

So can the gang here help me out with some comments on the various types that may fit what I need and what's specific about those models? Also, any they recommend, or those they don't recommend, for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance!
320 and 325 types are short scale
340 and 370 types are full scale.
All specs can be found on the Ric corporate site.
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

Thanks.

Tommy, absolutely sure on the pickups. I actually play Firebirds, so I'm used to that type of setup.

Wim, I did see the specs on the website, but I guess I was looking for a bit more. For example, just poking around you see that X is a fancier version of Y, or that it's close to something else but with hotter pickups, or something like that. So I guess I'm trying to get some one-liners from the guys that actually know what a Rick novice is looking for.

Just as a for example, here's some of what I found on ebay with 6 strings and 3 pickups.

and so on. I think some of those are discontinued, so they're not even on the website. Just a bit overwhelming so I was hoping to sort it out here, and also perhaps get some tips on what you all think of them, or ones to avoid and things like that. I did see a maple 340 that looked good.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Here's my take:
355 - John Lennon signature model produced in ltd quantities circa 1990. You pay for the JL pickguard
350 - Comes in two styles -- 350 Liverpool produced in 1990s, has 24 frets, hi-gain pickups and R tailpiece; 350V63 is a reissue of the 355 except w/out the sig guard, 21 frets and starting 2000 has "scatterwound" toaster pickups which are more
like '60s sound, not as high output as pre-2000; trapeze tailpiece; body is not solid but no soundhole
325 - short scale reissue; first series reissue V59 (with factory Bigsby) and V63 (with white guards and Ac'cent vibrola); starting early 2000s C58 (Kauffman vibrola, like old style) and C64 (similar to V63)
370 - full scale rounded-top semihollow;deluxe appointments such as triangle (or full width) fretboard inlays, bound neck and back, treble horn is rounded; R tailpiece
345 - semihollow 340 with vibrola; no binding neck or body; bass and treble horns both pointed
320 - like 325 except hi-gain pickups and R tailpiece; sometimes larger (wider) headstock; usually no soundhole
340 - semihollow 345 with R tailpiece; hi-gain pickups
330 - semihollow two hi-gain pickups R tailpiece
660 - solid body two toaster pickups; deluxe appointments incl checker-bound front; wider neck at nut
1993 -- 12 string only; f-hole, wider neck at nut

On the pickups, hi-gains generally hotter output, some say better for 6-strings; starting circa 2000 toasters were wound to "60s specs, some say better for 12-string jangle. Pre-2000 (and post-1970) toasters are actually hi-gains with toaster cover.

The 350V63 is a good choice if you like smaller bodies; the 340/370 semihollw good choice for larger body (but still smaller than for ex. a Gibson 335)
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

Awesome, thanks a lot! That's exactly the sort of thing that I was looking for. Greatly appreciated.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There is someone selling some 660's that they've added their own middle pickup to, and calling it "custom shop." Be aware, that's just the seller, not any kind of Rick custom shop. Officially there is no such thing. (If you're famous, though... slightly different story, naturally)
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

Thanks...

I think in general, I like the 330 style a bit more than the 660 type. I'm really impressed with the dark walnut ones, but as far as I can tell (and I certainly could be wrong), it looks like they only do 2 pickup models for the walnut.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Looks like all 3-pickup 300-series are off the price list as of this year - no 340/370 at all (they were still doing 370/12's for a while because Byrds).

If you really want that 3rd pickup (and you sound like you do - and I get that), sit tight and wait for a nice 70's or 80's 340 to pop up!

Try offering $1400 on this. They're dreaming over 2k.
https://reverb.com/item/5759287-rickenb ... s-6-string
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

Interesting... Don't see that shade of blue on many guitars. I have my eye on a 340 at a much nice price, but top secret until I decide to go for it or not! It's in that natural finish. I really like the dark walnut, but it doesn't appear they're making 3 pickup models with it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

They're not making any 340 or 370 models, it looks like. Nothing to do with there not being a walnut option for that model.

http://rickenbacker.com/pdfs/pricelist.pdf
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

Right sorry, I had this above.... I had looked at the website and it didn't appear they were offering any of the 3-pickup models in walnut in general.
biglionfan

Post by biglionfan »

OK, here's the one I just ordered
Attachments
ric2.JPG
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Congrats!
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Great find!

It's nice to get exactly what you want. Enjoy.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”