converting a330-12 to Rick-O-Sound

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stratjim

converting a330-12 to Rick-O-Sound

Post by stratjim »

had a 360-12 in the 80's with rick-o-sound. played thru a stereo rig and loved that sound.

recently purchased a 330-12 without rick-o-sound and would like to convert it.

can this be done? has anyone done it? how can i get parts like the jack plate?

any help would be appreciated.
collin

Re: converting a330-12 to Rick-O-Sound

Post by collin »

Hi James,

You can buy a used RoS jackplate on eBay, often from parts sellers like GibsonDependable.

A better alternative (and one that doesn't contribute to increasing demand for salvaging complete guitars for their parts!) is to buy a blank dual input jackplate from Winfield Vintage. Bonus is that it's cheaper at $50 http://www.winfieldvintage.com/parts/jackplate.html

Beyond that, you just need a second (stereo) 1/4" input jack, some wires and a forstner drill bit to cut a second hole for the new input. Assembly is pretty straightforward, if you're handy with a soldering iron.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I once converted a 330/12 to ROS by adding a hole. I put the mono output in the pickguard hole, and the ROS in the regular jack, IIRC. It's been years. I love the concept of ROS but rarely use it, if I'm being honest. I now route my mono signal into three channels rather than 2 signals to 2 places.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

James.....You don't need to buy a double jack plate, or drill any holes in your guitar. I can build you a wiring harness that you can change the output from mono to stereo with by pulling your bridge volume knob out. The harness would also be built to vintage spec with the original 500k tone pots, and 250k volume pots instead of the current 330k pots RIC uses in everything. (which actually measure out closer to 275k). PM me for details.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

aceonbass wrote:James.....You don't need to buy a double jack plate, or drill any holes in your guitar. I can build you a wiring harness that you can change the output from mono to stereo with by pulling your bridge volume knob out. The harness would also be built to vintage spec with the original 500k tone pots, and 250k volume pots instead of the current 330k pots RIC uses in everything. (which actually measure out closer to 275k). PM me for details.
Dane did me up a 650A harness with this, and it works great. It's a much better option than my janky 330 extra pickguard hole!
collin

Post by collin »

+1 on JDog and Dane’s suggestions.

I’m basically a caveman sometimes when it comes to guitar mods. There’s more than one way to solve this, and the least invasive method would be the way to go.
stratjim

Post by stratjim »

thanks for all the replies...now i have to decide which route to take.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”