230GF brings in decent bucks!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

230GF brings in decent bucks!

Post by jdogric12 »

All right! I thought for sure this would sell for just the opening bid of $1200. Nope, went higher!!! Nice guitar, and one serial number away from one I bought new many years ago (and sadly have since sold).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-G ... Swz5hbvoN5

Still gonna hold on to my matched pair 2030GF & 230GF a little while longer though :)
zhivago

Re: 230GF brings in decent bucks!

Post by zhivago »

Wow I had no idea these existed! Looks shred-tastic!! Very cool! :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

They're super wild and weird*. I fell in love with the 230GF when I saw Joe Walsh play one on Hell Freezes Over (slide, on Pretty Maids All In A Row), and was able to buy a new one in '99. Sold it at some point. Then this decade I've picked up a 2030GF, the bass version! and another 230GF, both in "player" condition. I placed the opening bid (and a few immediately after) last night and was surprised to see it go up so high in the last few sniping seconds. But it's mint and has the cert - that's the ideal, isn't it?

*edited to add:
Funny, I say wild and weird, when in fact what makes them so different than the average Rick model is how relatively bland and boring they are... I don't mean boring as an insult, just the super simple layout and design. Glenn's description in the original literature sums it all up nicely, I think.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000304000 ... /230gf.htm
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

I was watching that one, too. The prior auction ended with no bidders at $1200, so I thought the re-list wouldn't do much better.

I didn't bid but was curious to see whether the market for these had entirely dried up. Guess not! :mrgreen:
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Curiously, I've never seen Glenn Frey play one - just Joe on slide.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It is kind of interesting he didn't. It was probably a "close but no cigar" situation with a Les Paul Junior he favored in the studio according to this page (see photo caption)

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... enn-frey--

I seem to remember a comment along the lines of it originally being intended for another artist and he picked it up instead? Maybe Joe Walsh? Jackson Browne? I have no idea.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”