RRF Consultant

Re: I need to sort out the setup on my 360/12c63

Post by jps »

I'm not even an original; I have a twin brother! :mrgreen:
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I guess that would depend on your nut spacing..........
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

The Arnquist string spacing mod is the way to go.

I use D'Addario's on my 360/12 C63. D'Addario is a precision-made string; it's thickness is consistent along the whole length of each string, which removes a huge potential for intonation issues.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
georgie

Post by georgie »

well I picked up my guitar from the shop on Saturday - to recap I had a 12 saddle bridge put on, a new (bone) nut made with wider overall spacing but closer pairs, and I also had the .47 cap taken off of the bridge pickup and setup for daddario 10-46

So far I'm really happy - even though the difference in spacing at the nut is quite small, it's made a big difference to the playability - I'm getting lots less buzz and muted strings and I can pick much cleaner than before, it feels a lot more natural now and I'm not having to really, really concentrate to hit the right strings.

I can't detect a difference in the unplugged resonance from switching to the 12 saddle bridge, and my intonation seems a lot better as well - there isn't that g string beating that I found with the six saddle bridge.

Removing the cap has completely changed the sound of the bridge pickup - it's much less transistor radio sounding and is more full and a bit telecaster-like - it's a bit louder now than the neck pickup so I might need to adjust my pickup heights a little but it's a much more useable sound (to my ear) than the vintage cap tone.

I might up the G string gauges a little bit as they both seem quiet compared to the other strings, particularly the octave which is an 8 at the moment - I was thinking I'd take this to a 10 and see how that sounds, but apart from that I don't have any negative thoughts on what I've had done.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”