C63 or V64?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

TownesVanZandt

C63 or V64?

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Just snagged this little beauty on ebay for $1650. Will be the steal of the century provided the crack isn't major. Listed by a pawn shop that probably thought they had a regular 360 and had no idea of the worth of the c & v models.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 86866.html

However, I must confess - I don't know the difference by looking at them between the C63 and the V64. Anyone help me out here? Doesn't one have the toasters and one doesn't?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: C63 or V64?

Post by jdogric12 »

That's a 360/12WB. 24 frets and hi gains. And Rick O Sound on the second jack. Basically a regular "modern" (for its era) Rick 12, but with double bound (aka "Old Style") body instead of the new style rounded body.

The V64 was the reissue from the mid 80's until the even more accurate C63 came out in the early 00's. Reissues are made similar to the year in their names (64, and 63 respectively), and have toasters, 21 frets, full width inlays, and are dual mono jacks like George's.

Congrats! WB's are neat. Some people appreciate them big time as their own thing, and the fact they're no longer available I'm sure is no small part of that.
georgie

Post by georgie »

TownesVanZandt wrote:Just snagged this little beauty on ebay for $1650. Will be the steal of the century provided the crack isn't major. Listed by a pawn shop that probably thought they had a regular 360 and had no idea of the worth of the c & v models.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 86866.html

However, I must confess - I don't know the difference by looking at them between the C63 and the V64. Anyone help me out here? Doesn't one have the toasters and one doesn't?
Looks cool - funnily enough I bought my c63 from a shop that also had a 360 wb - they listed the WB as the c63 on their site and sold it as such and my c63 was listed as a regular 360/12 and I got it for £1450 (they're over £4000 new in the UK!) - it arrived in a modern case with '360/12wb' written on the side...
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Gotta love when others make mistakes for your benefit!

How do each of them compare in terms of price? Is the WB generally worth more than the c63 and v64 because of its age, or are they just cooler guitars?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

TownesVanZandt wrote:Gotta love when others make mistakes for your benefit!

How do each of them compare in terms of price? Is the WB generally worth more than the c63 and v64 because of its age, or are they just cooler guitars?
The WBs are cooler guitars.

One can still buy a brand new c63, but the v64 and WB are lost treasures. They ain't making them anymore, so, yes, their value is really in how much does one who wants one want to spend?

And the WB is the real gem simply due to its looks. The double binding on that body shape with the bound slash is stunning. It's my dream Ric. Consider yourself extremely lucky for having one.
collin

Post by collin »

Tommy wrote:
TownesVanZandt wrote:Gotta love when others make mistakes for your benefit!

The WBs are cooler guitars.

One can still buy a brand new c63, but the v64 and WB are lost treasures. They ain't making them anymore, so, yes, their value is really in how much does one who wants one want to spend?

And the WB is the real gem simply due to its looks. The double binding on that body shape with the bound slash is stunning. It's my dream Ric. Consider yourself extremely lucky for having one.
I completely disagree, at least in terms of what's "cooler." But hey, it's all subjective, right?

With their 24 frets, hi gains, non x-braced body, Gumby headstock w/Schallers, poured short inlays and bound soundhole -- the WB is closer in specs to a conventional 360 of the same period than any sort of vintage reissue.

They're fine guitars in every respect, but I prefer the other vintage specs that come with a V64 or especially with a C63 model.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

So personal choice is the thing. I see. Crunchy vs Creamy. I get it.

The big question is whether or not I gig with the new WB or try to sell it and make a buck to buy more Rickies. Good choice to have!

Thanks for the input, gents.
collin

Post by collin »

TownesVanZandt wrote:So personal choice is the thing. I see. Crunchy vs Creamy. I get it.

The big question is whether or not I gig with the new WB or try to sell it and make a buck to buy more Rickies. Good choice to have!

Thanks for the input, gents.
Either way, you did pretty good Tom. Looks like a particularly good WB with a nice fireglo, so well-bought. 8)
arbiter

Post by arbiter »

If i had my choice between C63, V64, and WB, i'd go V64. All cool guitars though. Congrats.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Just came the other day and I listed it on Reverb. Too much?

Thoughts?

https://reverb.com/item/17528404-ricken ... reglo-1994
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Steep (only since you asked)
collin

Post by collin »

Wait, now we're helping you flip guitars?

Geeze... :roll:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:Wait, now we're helping you flip guitars?

Geeze... :roll:
Agreed, out of spirit for RRF. Like, its not wrong but it aint cool either.
Very Occasionally

Post by Very Occasionally »

https://reverb.com/item/17528404-ricken ... reglo-1994

Looks like Craig decided to try to make a buck. But the pics from the Craigslist ad are more honest. C'mon, Craig, you may as well show the damage. Still a cool guitar!
collin

Post by collin »

You mean Tom?

He made his profit, he won’t be returning to read this... :roll:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”