Regularly changing tunings destabilizes neck?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tarkus108

Regularly changing tunings destabilizes neck?

Post by Tarkus108 »

My beautiful 1993 plus 12 string came in the mail a few days ago. Now I have a dilemma as far is tuning is concerned.

I initially tuned it to D standard to put a little less tension on the neck. I know it's not necessary to do this after a lot of reading on the forums, but my band plays in D. After an hour or so, I decided I wanted to hear what it would sound like at concert pitch E standard, so I went ahead and did that. I noticed the neck bowing a little more (of course it would) and I quickly went back down to D, as I was not mentally prepared to touch the truss rods of my new baby.

After some thought I've decided I want to tune it back to standard because that's what everyone including Mr Hall recommends. My fear is that I will be destabilizing the neck by switching back and forth so many times. Are my fears justified? Or have I succombed to the new guitar paranoia?
Tarkus108

Re: Regularly changing tunings destabilizes neck?

Post by Tarkus108 »

Many of you probably are thinking a capo is the solution. Which I could be, but I can't determine that now because my cheapo doesn't like this guitar. I have a kyser on order, but I still think concert pitch is best for this guitar.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Forget the Kyser, thay put a lot of force on the strings, IME. Go with either a Shubb or a NS Capo, they are fully adjustable in regards to how much tension you apply to the neck.
Tarkus108

Post by Tarkus108 »

jps wrote:Forget the Kyser, thay put a lot of force on the strings, IME. Go with either a Shubb or a NS Capo, they are fully adjustable in regards to how much tension you apply to the neck.
I heard about the jumper cables force of the kyser. Oh well... Return may be likely. Probably my worries about the neck aren't grounded in reality and I should just play the damn thing?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Tarkus108 wrote:
jps wrote:Forget the Kyser, thay put a lot of force on the strings, IME. Go with either a Shubb or a NS Capo, they are fully adjustable in regards to how much tension you apply to the neck.
I heard about the jumper cables force of the kyser. Oh well... Return may be likely. Probably my worries about the neck aren't grounded in reality and I should just play the damn thing?
Play the damn thing, but with the lightest gauge strings you can accept.
It's a 21 fret neck. Be careful
collin

Post by collin »

Been using a Kyser for 12-15 years at least, never had a problem (6-string or 12-string...). But YMMV...

Also, don't leave any capo on the guitar for any extended period after you're done playing, take it off.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Only ever used a Kyser.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”