Current Toaster Options

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

geordie9

Current Toaster Options

Post by geordie9 »

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if current issue scatterwounds (7.4k) are available to order from Rickenbacker, with the short magnets, which sit flush with the base plate? I noticed in the boutique that the ones listed do not fit the 325c58 (all positions).

I'm assuming that they must have a supply of shorter magnets, since they use them on the 325c58's.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Cheers,

Steve
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Current Toaster Options

Post by jdogric12 »

Afaik, no, hence the prices for vintage short pole toasters... pretty steep.
geordie9

Post by geordie9 »

Cheers Jason. A friend of mine wants to add a set of slightly hotter output toasters to his C58, but doesn't want to alter the original state of the guitar, so that he can revert it back to stock at any time.

Good to know this before buying a C58, as I guess you're SOL in the event of any of the original pickups developing a problem. No direct drop in replacement.
jdogric12 wrote:Afaik, no, hence the prices for vintage short pole toasters... pretty steep.
Cheers,

Steve
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
collin

Post by collin »

AFAIK, the RIC boutique mostly stocks parts for current models and the 325c58 is discontinued. That said, I don’t recall short pole toasters ever being available, but it’s even less likely these days.

I’ve seen people cut the magnets on a long pole toaster. But I’m not sure of the process for doing this.
geordie9

Post by geordie9 »

Cheers Collin. I guess he's going to have to leave it as is, as I guarantee he won't want to route slots to accomodate the longer magnets. Shame really, as it would give C58 owners an added option, without damaging the guitar.

Thanks
collin wrote:AFAIK, the RIC boutique mostly stocks parts for current models and the 325c58 is discontinued. That said, I don’t recall short pole toasters ever being available, but it’s even less likely these days.

I’ve seen people cut the magnets on a long pole toaster. But I’m not sure of the process for doing this.
Cheers,

Steve
1997 325v63 - Jetglo

2015 660/12 - Fireglo
collin

Post by collin »

For what it's worth, the C58 was designed to be 100% accurate to the original '58 325 guitar, "warts and all," according to RIC.

That means the short pole toasters in the neck position even clunky, impractical things like the Kaufman vibrola. It was never designed with practical modifications in mind, including things like pickups.

Also, for what it's worth, I believe the pickups in the c58 are scatterwounds (and scatterwounds may have actually debuted with the C58 models!), I haven't tested one to see the reading so they may be less than 7.4K but I haven't honestly heard a difference in sound between short magnet and long magnet toaster pickups.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote: (and scatterwounds may have actually debuted with the C58 models

Close - scats debuted on the special '99 run of 325/12V63, 425V63 & 450V63's.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”