620 with toasters?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Sugarcane

620 with toasters?

Post by Sugarcane »

I was wondering what my 620 would sound if I put a set of toasters on it.

Is the output really higher on high gains? I've read that the output isn't quite "high" on the modern high gain pups.

I have to cover a lot of ground as a guitarist, as we cover lots of bands and play our own hard rock stuff too. Maybe it would be better to stick to the high gains?

Any opinions/experiences are welcome!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: 620 with toasters?

Post by jdogric12 »

A 620 with toasters sounds great. Did it myself once. But for what you're doing the hi gains are prolly best. Hi gains are about 12k ohms and modern toasters are 7.4.
Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane »

Thanks! I'll leave the high gainers on
Very Occasionally

Post by Very Occasionally »

Triple the TWANG baby!

The question I would have for you is how loud is your band? If you're really loud i.e. 50 watt amps or bigger turned up, and you play with a lot of gain you'll likely want to stay with the Hi Gains for reasons of avoiding screechy feedback from Toasters.
But if your group is playing smaller venues and not so loud Toasters are far superior, IMHO, to Hi Gains. More definition and "spank" and wonderful overdriven. The Mesa amps I use are TC-50s and the High Gain channel is super saturated and the Toasters get nice harmonics, too.
Then again, you could use a noise gate with a bigger venue/amp situation and get great results with Toasters.

The downside is they are expensive and not always easy to find. Every time I get a guitar with Hi Gains I always find myself eventually swapping them out for Toasters.
Attachments
Ric620FGweb.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”