Rickenbacker 325c64 Bridge Options?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

brthegreat117

Rickenbacker 325c64 Bridge Options?

Post by brthegreat117 »

Hi, new member and Rickenbacker owner here.

So I purchased a 2017 Riceknbacker 325c64 recently after a long while of lusting after it.

Well, when I received it I noticed a distinct tonal issue with the bridge.
My high E, and B strings would vibrate and make this weird muted sound (also sometimes low E and A).

Thinking it could have been a set-up issue, I took it local legend Steve Soest.
He got her all set-up and dandy with 12s Thomastik flatwounds.

He then showed me the issues with the bridge, concerning the rollers. The high E, and B strings move side-to-side on the roller causing the noise I am getting.

I now am looking to purchase a replacement bridge, one where the strings will sit perfectly on the rollers, or get something different that will work.

Any help is appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rickenbacker 325c64 Bridge Options?

Post by admin »

Brandon, why not, as step one, contact Customer Service at RIC and see what they may recommend as a resolution to this problem before replacing the bridge.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
brthegreat117

Post by brthegreat117 »

admin wrote:Brandon, why not, as step one, contact Customer Service at RIC and see what they may recommend as a resolution to this problem before replacing the bridge.

I have. I was told that it was a common occurrence, and then provided a link to buy the other 'modern' bridge they offered.

I am looking for a replacement piece of quality that can still maintain roller functionality.
collin

Post by collin »

While I love it for the "period correct" aspect, the roller bridge is really not that functional. The rollers are nothing more than the ball end of a string mounted on a special saddle. They make a lot of unwanted noise and IMO they don't offer a significant improvement in keeping the guitar in tune.

A well-maintained standard bridge would eliminate the noise issues you're experiencing and still work fine for the vibrato.

FYI - you don't need to replace the entire bridge either. Just replace all six saddles with the conventional non-roller type. The bridge base is the same thing.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”