Rickenbacker 1997 Rose Morris Question

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

crisp

Rickenbacker 1997 Rose Morris Question

Post by crisp »

Hello.

Is the neck radius 10" or 7.25" ? I am unable to find the specs on the Rickenbacker site. it is as if these guitars never existed.

I am asking about the Reissue specifically. I think they made it from roughly 1989 to 1999

Thank you,
Steve
collin

Re: Rickenbacker 1997 Rose Morris Question

Post by collin »

A reissue 1997 would have a fretboard radius closer to 10"

(Original 60s era guitars are closer to 7.25" and I say closer because I haven't found the radius to be exact or consistent across the full board).
crisp

Post by crisp »

I appreciate the kind reply. It appears my only option for a 7.25" radius is a 360c63 or vintage.

Have a great rest of the day,
Steve
collin

Post by collin »

crisp wrote:I appreciate the kind reply. It appears my only option for a 7.25" radius is a 360c63 or vintage.

Have a great rest of the day,
Steve
I've never measured a 360c63 fretboard, but they seem like a larger radius than 7.25"

Oddly, most people complain about the 7.25" radius and want something larger and more "modern" for playability reasons. The vintage specs are all over the map. I've just refretted a deluxe 360 neck from 1966, and the fretboard radius was closer to 6" than 7.25" :shock:

The non-deluxe fretboards - such as a 330 or a 1997 - tend to have the 7.25" radius. All of my 60s era Rose Morris guitars (four in total) are all fairly consistently 7.25.

Either you could have a reissue fretboard planed to a 7.25" radius (with refret and refinish) or look for a 60s 1997. Not hard to find now, and the market has softened!
crisp

Post by crisp »

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is useful information you have provided.

According to the Rickenbacker listed specs, the 360c63 has the X-Bracing and 7.25" radius. I have fairly large hands and have found that the rounder radius necks somehow compensate for necks that are inherently smaller in profile. Though I am sure it is mostly in my head. I get along with the 10" well enough.

I have never owned a vintage Rickenbacker. I am not well versed on which years/models need a neck reset. I have also read some less than flattering reviews regarding the old style truss rods.

Maybe someday I will take the dive, but I need to educate myself a bit more about the eccentricities of a vintage Rickenbacker.

A 6" neck radius! That is wild! I am surprised the frets were not popping out from the sides.

Kind Regards,
Steve
collin

Post by collin »

I hear you there, I like the 7.25” radius on a Rickenbacker because I play it differently than I would a Gibson or Gretsch with their flatter boards.

If you can live without the “F” soundhole, a 360C63 might be a good option for you. All the good vintage specs are there (like a 7.25” board and x-bracing), without any of the bad vintage specs (i.e. they have the better modern style truss rods and the neck angles rarely shift). Plus a limited run was made in 6-strings for Guitar Center in 2014, which you can still find on occasion.
crisp

Post by crisp »

collin wrote:I hear you there, I like the 7.25” radius on a Rickenbacker because I play it differently than I would a Gibson or Gretsch with their flatter boards.

If you can live without the “F” soundhole, a 360C63 might be a good option for you. All the good vintage specs are there (like a 7.25” board and x-bracing), without any of the bad vintage specs (i.e. they have the better modern style truss rods and the neck angles rarely shift). Plus a limited run was made in 6-strings for Guitar Center in 2014, which you can still find on occasion.
Indeed you are correct.

Unfortunately for me, it appears those 360c63 6-Strings are rare as hen's teeth. I have noticed these unusual "Fab" model Rickenbackers that have been popping up on the Reverb site. I believe there are two now. They were limited runs for Andy Babiuk if I understand correctly. They appear to have the 360c63 body style, but the jury is out on the neck radius. All of these "Fab" guitars I have seen have been jetglo with the checkered binding.

I think I will hold out on the real deal 360c63 if I can ever find one.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
collin

Post by collin »

Anytime, happy to help.

Just be patient and wait for the right one to turn up. I see at least a couple 360c63 models turn up each year (eBay or Reverb), shouldn’t be too hard to find one. Also if you’re on Facebook, join the Rickenbacker pages and post a wanted ad. Good luck with the hunt!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”