Why No 360/12 Wide neck - like the 1993/Plus

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: Why No 360/12 Wide neck - like the 1993/Plus

Post by collin »

steverok wrote:
pauleway wrote: Yeah - Probably 75% of Ric 12 string owners (and previous owners) would be buying their favorite Ric model if they came with the wider neck and 12 saddle bridge.!
Actually, I am not all that on-board with the 12-saddle bridge. I got one for my 360-12, but felt the guitar lost tone with it, in terms of definition and sustain, so I switched it back.
+1

The 12-saddle bridge is great in theory but it's fussy to set up, IMO.

Some folks argue that the difference in certain notes being *slightly* out of intonation on a standard 6-string saddle is a component in the classic Rickenbacker 12-string sound. And I agree...
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

Jangleman wrote:The simple solution to the narrow neck on 12 string 300s is a wider spaced nut. I very nearly gave up on my gorgeous 330/12 MB by trading for a Gretsch 12 but at the last minute decided to try a wider spaced nut (requires 42s not 46s) and at the same time fit a 12 saddle bridge. The result is a total transformation.

Well after reading your (and 3bounds) posts, I found a beautiful - like new, 360/12 in Montezuma Brown on e-Bay and pulled the trigger!! Ordered the new wider spaced nut, 12 saddle bridge, and some new strings, and when I receive it all, I'm off to my local luthier for that "Set-Up" that 3-bound and you said worked so well and makes all the difference.
I know that if I kept on waiting for Rickenbacker to finally come out with a wide neck 360/12, I would probably be too old and arthritic to play it anyway! :cry:
Here is hoping this will work, so wish me luck - hey,"At least I Tried"!! [quote=" from R.P. McMurphy "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"][/quote] :lol:
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

Well, I finally got my wider nut, 12 saddle bridge and went to my luthier to install and set up my used 360/12 Montezuma Brown Ric I purchased a while ago.
Just got it back and though it is not quite as easy to play as my 1993Plus, and 660/12 with the wider necks, it did make a difference and more playable for us "Stubby Fingered" Rickenbacker lovers!
I always wanted the 360/12 "round top" McGuinn style Ric (and had a few), but never could adjust to that narrow neck and eventually sold them. This fills the bill, and now I don't have to wait and hope every year that Rickenbacker make this model with the wider neck and 12 saddle bridge! If they won't make the 360/12 with the wider neck because of the cost to change it or whatever reason they have, they could at least give the option for the wider spaced nut to save their loyal customers the hassle, expense, and time of having to do it yourself. (that also goes for the 12-saddle bridge).
Anyway, got my trifecta of Rickenbackers I've always wanted, and my McGuinn style Ric before the arthritis and dementia decides to make me a visit! :P :shock:
My thanks to Jangleman and 3bounds for steering me in the right direction, problem solved!! :wink:
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

iiipopes wrote:Mr. JH addressed this on the factory forum some years ago. In short, the traditional stock 360/12 neck width is selling too well to change.
I have discussed this with John Hall. He sees no reason to change the fretboard width, as well as a few other quirky features of the 12 strings. The guitars sell just the way they are, which is due to the fact that Rick players get used to the quirks and accept them. John sells every guitar he makes. Gibson and Fender and many other manufacturers do not.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

drumbob wrote:
iiipopes wrote:Mr. JH addressed this on the factory forum some years ago. In short, the traditional stock 360/12 neck width is selling too well to change.
The guitars sell just the way they are, which is due to the fact that Rick players get used to the quirks and accept them.

Yeah, and spending a lot of extra money and time on fixing those "quirks" that we have to "accept" instead of addressing those things that could be taken care of by the maker of the product. Why fix something that you don't have to, let the customer do it and don't bother them with small things that would make their 12 strings more playable. We're doing just fine, don't rock the boat and don't bother us with your problems!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There are plenty of us that are able to play them just fine, and on average we are far less vocal about it.

I will say I definitely avoid the mid-90's to mid-00's "baseball bat" necks. I did a live stream earlier tonight with my '96 360/12V64 TUR and was reminded why I rarely play that one!
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

To reiterate, I have spoken to John Hall at length about the narrow necks on the 12 string and here's the response I got: "I see no reason to change the necks, or to install 12 saddle bridges on the 12 strings, because the guitars have always been that way, I sell every one I make, and players who like Rickenbackers adjust to the quirks. It's part of the Rick mystique. On top of that, think of all the great records that have been made with Rick 12 strings just the way they have always been."

That was pretty much it, quote/unquote. The 660-12 has the wider neck, because it was the Tom Petty model and that's what Tom wanted. The Pete Townshend model has the wider neck too. If you want a wider neck, buy one of those, because you're not going to get it on a 330 or 360. You can always change the nut, which I plan to do eventually. Or, you deal with it.

As far as guitarists adjusting to the quirks, he's dead right. We do, because we love the guitars otherwise.

If you can't deal with the things you dislike about Ricks, don't play them. Simple.
lazerdriver

Post by lazerdriver »

It would seem like Rickenbacker recognized this to be a enough of a problem to start selling wider spaced nuts several years back. I don't know what year that happened, but I have a 2002 360/12 and replaced the nut with one I got from Rickenbacker online I think about 10 years ago. It helps a little. I don't know if they are still using the original spaced nut on the new models or using the wider spaced one on them.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”