What's up with the Ric Vibrato?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

3bound

What's up with the Ric Vibrato?

Post by 3bound »

I've been looking at a lot of Rickenbackers lately and I noticed that the Ric Vibrato is not that common.
Especially on the 360 model. I have seen the beautiful 67' natural 365 posted in another thread.

Do these work OK?
If used gently - do they hold their tuning?
Thanks for any info.
fabandgear

Re: What's up with the Ric Vibrato?

Post by fabandgear »

I'm one of the few people who like the Ric Vibrato/Ac'cent Vibrato. My '65 360 had an older "Ac'cent by Paul" version installed and It always worked well, staying in tune with the guitar's original non-vibrato bridge. I installed a newer Rickenbacker Vibrato on my '91 1997 and although it stays in tune now, required a bit of a break-in period. If you aren't looking to "wammy" the thing, the RB is perfect for light vibrato and "Ventures" endings. Besides, they look really cool on a Rick.
Attachments
VoxBeatleRick365.jpg
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Forrest: The coolness factor is its strong suit. The RIC Vibrato without a gentle touch, however, is a formula for frustration. Neither a A Bigsby nor Stratocaster trem it be.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
fabandgear

Post by fabandgear »

A well broken in (i.e., flexed about ten thousand times) Ac'cent actually works nicely and stays in relative tune. The one on my 1997 works beautifully now. Of course if you're wanting to wammy and dive bomb, a Floyd Rose or Kahler it ain't. The RIC Vibrato beats the heck out of a Kaufman, but doesn't really measure up to a Bigsby. I guess depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I think the Mosrite Vibramute is the best vibrato ever.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
parker_knoll

Post by parker_knoll »

fabandgear wrote:A well broken in (i.e., flexed about ten thousand times) Ac'cent actually works nicely and stays in relative tune. The one on my 1997 works beautifully now. Of course if you're wanting to wammy and dive bomb, a Floyd Rose or Kahler it ain't. The RIC Vibrato beats the heck out of a Kaufman, but doesn't really measure up to a Bigsby. I guess depends on what you want to do with it. Personally, I think the Mosrite Vibramute is the best vibrato ever.
Actually considering installing a Mosrite trem on a Ric. I have the trem, i need to work out whether the break angle is good. Watch this space :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”