Rick 362s

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

TownesVanZandt

Rick 362s

Post by TownesVanZandt »

I have been thinking about a 362 as of late. Just wondering if anyone has any advice, not only on the pros and cons of owning one, but also how often they come up for sale. I see two available on Reverb/Ebay right now, but they have been up for some time, and are not going for the asking price. Contacted Dave's in LaCrosse, who suggested a price in the $5k - $6K range is more reasonable. There was a FG 362 that popped up on Reverb a few months back, but it went pretty quickly and I didn't see what it went for.

In any case, anyone have one? Anyone know how often one sees one for sale? Thanks for any advice.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rick 362s

Post by admin »

Tom we only have two in our price list for an average price of $8750. This is higher than the information your received from Dave's. There are two on Reverb at the moment, a 1979 Mapleglo and a 1982 Jetglo both in the $8K US range.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Yes, I have seen the two on Reverb. One dropped to around $6700 due to a sale, and I was thinking about it.

Do you own a store, or do you know of other 362s for sale?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

TownesVanZandt wrote:...around $6700...
That's the same price as that of an extremely rare double door Gustav Stickley bookcase I have been eyeing! Hmm, decisions, decisions. A double neck guitar from the '70s, or a double door bookcase from around 1903. :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom I do not own a store. I find it fascinating to study the history of Rickenbacker instruments, however as they are added to our Register.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I owned one once. Pretty heavy, and you have to be very careful not to swing that weight around by holding the neck(s). Which is kind of a pain. If you are buying it as a collector, go for it. 5 to 6k sounds right. If you plan to play it (like i did!) be ready to be annoyed, which will help you sell it! :)
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

I wouldn't play it live. I am the rhythm guitarist in a Rickenbacker-heavy traveling tribute band, and the lead guitarist would play it live. So I wouldn't have to worry about the weight! He plays a ****** Jay Turcer doubleneck now...so this would be a step up, to say the least. It'd be a "special gig" guitar and wouldn't travel far. I worry enough about my Ricks as it is - cannot imagine how paranoid I'd be bringing a $6500 guitar on road trips.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Aaaannnd.....

Just had an offer to buy one for $6500.

If anyone has sold one recently or seen one sold, let me know. This seems like a decent price, but I can't find any recent info on Reverb, mainly, I suppose, because they don't move that often.
collin

Post by collin »

That sounds about exactly right, depending on color and condition.

Considering these don't turn up often, you should try and make a move for it, if you're interested.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Color is jetglo. Condition appears excellent.

Exciting!!
collin

Post by collin »

Cool!

Definitely do your homework as well, make sure that Jetglo is original. Jetglo seems to be the go-to color for covering up repairs.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Just saw this. I LOVE my 362/12. Played it exclusively for the first year I owned it. Balanced and certainly a conversation starter. It’s the bee’s knees. I’d get another if I could, as a backup.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Indeed!

Here's what mine will look like! (Picking it up next weekend....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2nbHpF7-qk
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Super! Classic Jetglo.
TownesVanZandt

Post by TownesVanZandt »

Interesting experience buying the 362.

1. It is much heavier than I thought, but the weight doesn't bother me.
2. Current band will definitely not be using the guitar live. The lead player does not like it at all due to the weight and the simple fact that the 12 neck is significantly thinner than the 660 12 that he plays. I see his point. Not the easiest 12 to play, that is for sure.
3. The toggle switch between the 6 and 12 is not in the best shape.
4. It just has that "old" feeling to it. It is the second Rick that I have owned made before the mid 90s, and they definitely have a different vibe than newer models.
5. Very impressed with the sound, despite the difficulties of playing it.

I need to play it a lot more than I have before I make the final call, but initially I am surprised that I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Definitely a collector's item and not an everyday guitar. Although I knew that going in.
Attachments
image5.jpeg
image8.jpeg

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”