Capo for 360/12C63

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Axelorox

Capo for 360/12C63

Post by Axelorox »

What's a good capo for the 360/12C63 that accommodates the small fretboard radius?
collin

Re: Capo for 360/12C63

Post by collin »

I've always had good experience with the Kyser Quick Change capo - it's less fussy than older designs and conforms to the tight radius of a Rickenbacker neck very well.

Some 60s era fretboards are nearly 6" radius and the Kyser still works on those.

https://www.kysermusical.com/
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Yeah, I use the Kyser on my Ric 12. Those things are very user friendly and they do the job.

I do, though, use a Dunlop Trigger capo on my Ric 325. I guess I went with it because it is smaller in size than the Kyser and that small size befits the 325. I discovered that it is a very good capo. Has more bite (tension) than the Kyser.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While by no means breaking news, beware that some capos that "bite" can take their toll on the frets of your instrument.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
collin

Post by collin »

admin wrote:While by no means breaking news, beware that some capos that "bite" can take their toll on the frets of your instrument.
This usually happens when people leave the capo mounted while the guitar is on a stand. When I’m done playing a song with the capo, it comes off and often stuck onto the headstock.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Collin: I concur. As will all things in life, proper use never hurts. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

admin wrote:While by no means breaking news, beware that some capos that "bite" can take their toll on the frets of your instrument.
Come on, a song is three or four minutes long. If a capo can bite into one's frets in that short a time, I'd use it as a clamp to hold down my home during a hurricane.

Proper use of a capo (and I still don't know whether to place it close to the fret, far above the fret, angle the capo...) goes without saying. Who would leave a capo on overnight or on a guitar while it is in its case?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tom I hear you. However, it is not the three minute song that typically takes its toll but rather the three minute song over and over. The more you use a capo without care the greater the risk. Being mindful is all it takes to reduce the risk.
capo wear.jpg

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

admin wrote:Tom I hear you. However, it is not the three minute song that typically takes its toll but rather the three minute song over and over. The more you use a capo without care the greater the risk. Being mindful is all it takes to reduce the risk.
capo wear.jpg
I got you. I never really thought they could do damage.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

When I use a capo (original Shubb, or NS Capo) I apply just enough force to hold the strings down, just like our finger do. They should not be used like a clamp! That's why I prefer adjustable tension models.

Depending on the particular guitar, I angle the capo so it is closer to the fret on the low E and up to 1/4" away from the fret at the high E string; rarely, do I have the capo parallel to the fret. Partly, this is to give me a bit more room behind the neck for some of the more complex playing I do, but I find that it helps with the string being better in tune with each other, although I usually do have to make minor adjustments anyway, particularly on the MS-12.

As to fingerboard radius, the Shubb can be re-bent to accommodate whatever you need (slide the rubber sleeve of before doing this work). It does take some tools to do so, but it works like a charm once done (I have a capo dedicated to each of my guitars, with their different radii this just makes sense to do).

I have tried the Kyser but found that it puts too much force on the strings making them go considerably sharp.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A nice read Scott. Thanks for the link. Certainly multiple options and things to think about. In passing, I believe that Paul McCartney used a capo on his bass during a recording session.

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin wrote:A nice read Scott. Thanks for the link. Certainly multiple options and things to think about. In passing, I believe that Paul McCartney used a capo on his bass during a recording session.
Yes. An old Hamilton. I have one of those, which I used for years until I got my new capo from Journeyman Guitars. Pic of Macca using a capo:
Paul Capo Bass.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Scott. Do you suppose that this is the Rubber Soul era?

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

admin wrote:Thanks Scott. Do you suppose that this is the Rubber Soul era?
I believe so. I posted a color picture so everyone could see the bass is still in its original FG.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”