I Went Back To White Guards

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (pauleway) » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm not going to have my guitar stripped just for some binding around the soundhole.[/quote


If you just want the sound hole done, I do not think they have to strip the finish off the guitar.
They only do it when they have to bind the outside parameter of the guitar(double-binding)!
(pauleway)
New member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (Tommy) » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:13 pm

pauleway wrote:If you just want the sound hole done, I do not think they have to strip the finish off the guitar.


Interesting.

I was actually thinking of maybe doing it myself. Can get the binding glue and white binding from StewMac. Just 6 bucks for a 65 inch piece of white binding. The darn glue ($14.00) is more than the binding!

But what I know I could not get perfect would be a perfectly tight bond between guitar and binding. I fear there will be a slight gap here and there. The soundhole edge is not perfectly smooth. That means scraping and sanding that inner edge. And could I get the binding perfectly flush to the top of the guitar? That's a one in a million shot. I am pretty good with my hands, but this little task is too risky. Glue seep onto the finish! Ahhhhhhhh!

As I said, I watched the Ric video from their plant and those guys scrape away at the binding to get it flush to the unfinished guitar. That's the easy way to do it. Trying to do it on a finished guitar is a thousand times more difficult.

But thanks for the idea. Maybe years from now I might give it a go. The guitar is too new right now.
User avatar
(Tommy)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 am

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (admin) » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:55 am

Tommy wrote:
pauleway wrote:If you just want the sound hole done, I do not think they have to strip the finish off the guitar.


Interesting.

I was actually thinking of maybe doing it myself. Can get the binding glue and white binding from StewMac. Just 6 bucks for a 65 inch piece of white binding. The darn glue ($14.00) is more than the binding!

But what I know I could not get perfect would be a perfectly tight bond between guitar and binding. I fear there will be a slight gap here and there. The soundhole edge is not perfectly smooth. That means scraping and sanding that inner edge. And could I get the binding perfectly flush to the top of the guitar? That's a one in a million shot. I am pretty good with my hands, but this little task is too risky. Glue seep onto the finish! Ahhhhhhhh!

As I said, I watched the Ric video from their plant and those guys scrape away at the binding to get it flush to the unfinished guitar. That's the easy way to do it. Trying to do it on a finished guitar is a thousand times more difficult.

But thanks for the idea. Maybe years from now I might give it a go. The guitar is too new right now.


Clearly not for the novice or faint of heart. It is like drilling a hole in the bottom of your boat. A bravery test for sure. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
User avatar
(admin)
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:00 am
Location: Fredericton, NB Canada

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (pauleway) » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:12 pm

If you ever decide to do it, my advice would be to go to a well respected luthier!
(pauleway)
New member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (admin) » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:10 am

pauleway wrote:If you ever decide to do it, my advice would be to go to a well respected luthier!


Sage advice, Paul!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
User avatar
(admin)
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:00 am
Location: Fredericton, NB Canada

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (Tommy) » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm

There was a reason why I swapped out the gold for white that I didn't state: I kind of knew that by switching the pickguards, I would play the guitar more than I have been.

Most guitar guys know the old adage that if you want to increase your playing, buy some new piece of gear. Well, a modification (even a pickguard switch) will also make you play that gear more often. And it's working with my Blue 330. It's like I have a brand new guitar. I am playing it constantly.

Image
User avatar
(Tommy)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 am

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (admin) » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:38 am

Tommy wrote:There was a reason why I swapped out the gold for white that I didn't state: I kind of knew that by switching the pickguards, I would play the guitar more than I have been.

Most guitar guys know the old adage that if you want to increase your playing, buy some new piece of gear. Well, a modification (even a pickguard switch) will also make you play that gear more often. And it's working with my Blue 330. It's like I have a brand new guitar. I am playing it constantly.

Image


Tom an excellent point. This instrument is irresistible and a real corker. Thanks for posting a photo here. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
User avatar
(admin)
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14898
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2000 5:00 am
Location: Fredericton, NB Canada

Re: I Went Back To White Guards

Postby (drumbob) » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:56 pm

I like the white guard and factory knobs best, but that's just me. And yes, I have removed the Made In The USA oval sticker. Immediately! Some don't.
User avatar
(drumbob)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:50 am
Location: Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Previous

Return to Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests