X-Bracing

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

crisp

X-Bracing

Post by crisp »

I have come to understand that Vintage Rickenbackers utilized "X-Bracing" on their guitars. The 360c63 seems to use it as well.

What sort of bracing does Rickenbacker use these days? What is the rationale behind the change? Any idea when it was implemented?

I am very curious is to if my Carl Wilson had the X-Bracing. The top was extremely resonant and felt much thinner than my 2004-2006 Rickenbackers.

I appreciate any insight.
collin

Re: X-Bracing

Post by collin »

From what I understand, the Carl Wilson models have a thin top but modern bracing (not X-bracing).

I don’t have images available to explain the difference but it’s significantly different. The modern style is likely stronger and therefore less prone to issues, but the x-bracing is a big part of the sound of vintage Ricks. That’s why the X-bracing was reintroduced for the C-series instruments.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

collin wrote:From what I understand, the Carl Wilson models have a thin top but modern bracing (not X-bracing).
This was my understanding as well. The CW does have a slightly thinner top than other modern Ricks but not quite the 1/8" tops common from 1966 to 1968 (they varied).
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

This is the interior of an X-braced 1966 360-12 (courtesy of Mark Arnquist):
Arnquist X-Braced 360-12 1966.jpg
This is the interior of current 360 construction:
Rick CNC internal 360.jpg
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Current RIC production models with X-bracing are 360/12C63, 360C63 (ltd ed) and 1993 Plus.
crisp

Post by crisp »

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I did not suspect the 1993 Plus had the X-Bracing as well. Great picture examples as well.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”