360/12 - TI Flats or Compressed Roundwounds

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

akpasta

360/12 - TI Flats or Compressed Roundwounds

Post by akpasta »

Hey all,

Rounds v flats is a well-worn topic, but here's another thread nonetheless.

I have a 1981 360/12 with toaster pickups. Currently I've got TI flats on the guitar. I run it through two compressors, first a dynacomp with the sustain all the way up, and then a 'ART Tube Pac' pre-amp/compressor with input all the way up and threshold all the way down and output dialed for volume (9 o'clock or thereabouts). Both of those in tandem before other effects and the amp really squish the hell out of the signal and it sounds clean and chimey and real real byrdsy. I also find the extra compression is a big help the louder you go on your amp!

When playing chords or harmonies (multiple strings) the thing really sings and chimes, great sound. But when I switch to single-note melodies or solos it's a little too hollow and quiet. It kinda sounds like a combination of the lower-output toasters and the dull TI flats are just not making enough sound.

I use Pick of the Rick compressed roundwounds on my Fender XII and they work well for that so I'm curious if it might brighten things up a notch for the Ricky. On the other hand, those TI flats are expensive, so I'm a bit hesitant. Oh also, it took me a lot of time to get the truss rods and bridge adjusted just right with smooth low action and minimal buzzing (not easy on a vintage Rick with 7.25" radius and old likely inconsistent fretwork). I assume changing string types will require truss rod adjustment, but I suppose I could wait to adjust depending on whether I prefer the tone of the compressed rounds...

Can anyone give me an opinion on whether the compressed rounds will do what I want-- ie. keep the chimey rhythm byrdsy sound but give me a bit more bite on the single-note melodies?

Thanks!
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: 360/12 - TI Flats or Compressed Roundwounds

Post by Tommy »

I have a new set of Pick Of Ricks' compressed roundwounds on my 360/12. I have had the guitar for twenty-eight years....that compressed round wounds set is the best set I have ever used on that guitar. Took me twenty-eight years to finally find what I wanted in tone for that guitar, but well worth the wait. That set does for me what you are seeking: bright with some nice bite.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

+1, try some rounds.

If you're careful taking off the old strings, you could always put them on again later. When changing strings, I like to coil up the old set and throw them into the case as emergency spares. 8)
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I like Rickenbacker strings on my 12-strings. They sound great, they're easy to find, and they're reasonably priced.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

For my 12-strings, I like either the Rick compressed rounds, D'Addarion 10-46, or the Ernie Ball 8-42 set. The light gauge on the Ernie Ball set is great for players who like to bend on a 12-string-easy bending! :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”