Janglebox Nano

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

akpasta

Janglebox Nano

Post by akpasta »

Hey All,

I'm playing a rick 360/12 with TI flats and toaster pickups through a reissue Fender Princeton. I tried a Janglebox Nano today and it kind of blew me away. I've been experimenting with various compression pedals for some time including stacking compression (Dynacomp, Wampler Ego, and using an ART Tube Pac as a pre-amp compressor), and so far this one is my favorite and it sounds great on its own, no stacking needed. The manual says to start with knobs at 12 o'clock and adjust from there, but that setting just did not do anything for me, very very light compression. So I cranked the "attack" (compression) knob ALL the way up to really squish it, set tone boost on, and then used the volume as desired (for me it was quite low since the Attack knob adds a lot of volume). On the amp I found that my volume was good for quiet playing around 3 and treble was at 5. I found that all the extra treble that the pedal adds along with the squish of the compressoin allowed me to use the bass knob on the amp basically as a "warmth" knob, and I ended up dialing it up to 10. The JB Nano squishes the frequencies so well that they really just press together very musically. I haven't tried to play super loud yet (I've find the louder you go the more compression you need to get that squished 12 string jangle) but I'm a fan so far!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Janglebox Nano

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, JangleBox stuff is fantastic. Next try the J-Gate. It's an almost-always-ON pedal for me.
akpasta

Post by akpasta »

jdogric12 wrote:Yeah, JangleBox stuff is fantastic. Next try the J-Gate. It's an almost-always-ON pedal for me.
What exactly does the J-Gate do? Does it allow you to crank the s** out of the compressors even more but eliminate any noise associated with that? Is a noise gate really worth the cost? Tell me more :)
Glennerd

Post by Glennerd »

Picked up a ‘90s Rose Morris 6-string reissue about a month ago and had been looking for a compressor.

Years ago, had an original Janglebox and an old MXR Dyna Comp & sold both. Felt they were noisy.

Been thinking about getting another comp and looked at a few, then grabbed a Pete Cornish OC-1 for what I thought was a very good price on eBay. Liking it so far!
akpasta

Post by akpasta »

Glennerd wrote:Picked up a ‘90s Rose Morris 6-string reissue about a month ago and had been looking for a compressor.

Years ago, had an original Janglebox and an old MXR Dyna Comp & sold both. Felt they were noisy.

Been thinking about getting another comp and looked at a few, then grabbed a Pete Cornish OC-1 for what I thought was a very good price on eBay. Liking it so far!
Wow those are fancy compressors! What do you like about it?
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Welcome to the world of Janglebox. What took you so long to come to the party? It's the compressor Byrds fans have prayed for.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

akpasta wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:Yeah, JangleBox stuff is fantastic. Next try the J-Gate. It's an almost-always-ON pedal for me.
What exactly does the J-Gate do? Does it allow you to crank the s** out of the compressors even more but eliminate any noise associated with that? Is a noise gate really worth the cost? Tell me more :)
It's a noise gate, but with a very musical attack and decay, and good control over the threshold and decay settings. Also has a handy mute stomp. As with any gate, it won't remove noise that's passing through your signal anyway once you're over the threshold, but it does work well at hiding little finger noises you may want to remove.
akpasta

Post by akpasta »

One thing I will say about the janglebox is it appears to work better with lower output pickups. I have toasters in my Rick and they sing through the JB. I have a reissue fender xii with much higher output pickups and they distort a little bit through the janglebox. Haven’t tried any other guitars yet though.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”