Eddie Vedder's Light show?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dcbowling

Eddie Vedder's Light show?

Post by Dcbowling »

20201103_053845.jpg
So I was going thru my Google News feed, as I do every morning and saw an interview with Eddie Vedder and how he worked with Bradley Cooper on "A Star Is Born". I didn't get a chance to read it, mostly because I have no interest BUT there was a Rickenbacker 331 lights how In jetglo in the background. Anyone know any backround on this? Is it original? I don't ever see them in jetglo. Is it a P.W?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Eddie Vedder's Light show?

Post by jdogric12 »

Yep, they were almost all JG & BG. I have seen one MG.
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

jdogric12 wrote:Yep, they were almost all JG & BG. I have seen one MG.
Huh, most of the ones I've seen were Mapleglo but not too many Jetglo's.
Thanks for the response.
collin

Post by collin »

Dcbowling wrote:
Thanks for the response.
LOL.

How many have you seen? Mapleglo is one of the rarest lightshow colors (aside from the couple known examples in Azureglo), just look at the registry. The vast majority of these guitars were Burgundyglo originally.

Bear in mind that in 1970-1972, the Burgundyglo shade was often a very dark eggplant shade that is often mistaken for Jetglo if not viewed in direct sunlight. For many year I thought McGuinn’s 341/12 LS was Jetglo... nope! Just dark Burgundyglo.
Last edited by collin on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collin

Post by collin »

Eddie gets all his interior decorating tips from me. :mrgreen:
Attachments
25A2101A-03D8-4B6D-9065-1F48DF10FADD.jpeg
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

collin wrote:
Dcbowling wrote:
Thanks for the response.
LOL.

How many have you seen? Mapleglo is one of the rarest lightshow colors (aside from the couple known examples in Azureglo), just look at the registry. The vast majority of these guitars were Burgundyglo originally.

Bear in mind that in 1970-1972, the Burgundyglo shade was often a very dark eggplant shade that is often mistaken for Jetglo if not viewed in direct sunlight. For many year I thought McGuinn’s 341/12 LS was Jetglo... nope! Just dark Burgundyglo.
Lol I have never "seen" any, I just meant that's what I've seen online and what comes to mind for me when I think lightshow.
It may be that when I search the rare ones pop up first too.
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

collin wrote:Eddie gets all his interior decorating tips from me. :mrgreen:
I signed up to this forum a while ago but I had to take a break specifically because of picture's like that! What a gorgeous collection!
I used to keep all my guitars on my wall but one time my wife got mad and launched one at me... Since then, they go in the cases, lol. Thank God it was only a Fender.
collin

Post by collin »

Dcbowling wrote: Lol I have never "seen" any, I just meant that's what I've seen online and what comes to mind for me when I think lightshow.
Part of that misperception might be the fact that a few years ago, a mapleglo 331 turned up for sale on Ebay missing all of its guts. Paul Wilcyzinski rebuilt the guitar with a set of accurate original style lightshow boards, and it was subsequently sold on to at least TWO major vintage guitar dealers (it's currently for sale at Retrofret in New York).

As a result of changing hands numerous times, that particular guitar is highly visible online when you search for images.

When you search "Rickenbacker Lightshow" in Google images, every photo you see of a mapleglo 331 is the same guitar (note, the swirly pattern on the lenses is unique to each guitar, like a fingerprint... compare it)

Link to Google Search --- https://rb.gy/acnahh

Here is the guitar in question, at Retrofret: https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8539
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

collin wrote:
Dcbowling wrote: Lol I have never "seen" any, I just meant that's what I've seen online and what comes to mind for me when I think lightshow.
Part of that misperception might be the fact that a few years ago, a mapleglo 331 turned up for sale on Ebay missing all of its guts. Paul Wilcyzinski rebuilt the guitar with a set of accurate original style lightshow boards, and it was subsequently sold on to at least TWO major vintage guitar dealers (it's currently for sale at Retrofret in New York).

As a result of changing hands numerous times, that particular guitar is highly visible online when you search for images.

When you search "Rickenbacker Lightshow" in Google images, every photo you see of a mapleglo 331 is the same guitar (note, the swirly pattern on the lenses is unique to each guitar, like a fingerprint... compare it)

Here is the guitar in question, at Retrofret: https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=8539
Is this the one on the Studio California website that was a Jetglo?
I think your exactly right. Also all the Pinterest ones are the same lenses too.
collin

Post by collin »

Dcbowling wrote:
collin wrote:

Is this the one on the Studio California website that was a Jetglo?
I think your exactly right. Also all the Pinterest ones are the same lenses too.
Paul has had a lot of Lightshows go through his shop. Not sure which one you're referring to on his website though. The one on top is Kenny Howe's restored (incl. refinish) original 331 and the triple-pickup slant-fret example further down the page is a guitar that Paul made, not an original factory finish.

https://www.studio-california.com/light-show-guitars
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

Paul has had a lot of Lightshows go through his shop. Not sure which one you're referring to on his website though. The one on top is Kenny Howe's restored (incl. refinish) original 331 and the triple-pickup slant-fret example further down the page is a guitar that Paul made, not an original factory finish.

https://www.studio-california.com/light-show-guitars[/quote]

Yea after rechecking it's not. It's not even a restoration, it's replica circuit boards, lol. I get sidetracked by him work and sometimes forget to read what it actually is. I'm hoping my local will have a 330 for me soon. I talked to them about ordering one but they're waiting on a current shipment before they order anything else. They did say that when they spoke with Ric, alot of other stores have canceled orders and my local offered to take the canceled orders in because they can never keep any Rics in stock so hopefully..
collin

Post by collin »

Paul's replica boards are fantastic, by the way. He does an LED version and also the original style incandescent (which are my preference),and has restored many original lightshow models including the mapleglo example at Retrofret, linked above.

Best of luck with getting your 330, as you mention.
Dcbowling

Post by Dcbowling »

collin wrote:Paul's replica boards are fantastic, by the way. He does an LED version and also the original style incandescent (which are my preference),and has restored many original lightshow models including the mapleglo example at Retrofret, linked above.

Best of luck with getting your 330, as you mention.
Yea Paul's work has created alot of heartache for me, lol.
He's such an artist, with an incredible amount of talent in so many areas.
Thanks, I'm hopeful they'll have one in soon. They have a matte black but my next HAS to be Fireglo.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Friends:

Fireglo lightshow. Now there a rare one. I’ve seen pictures.

Also, my last name has an “s,” so the plural is either Howes’ or Howes’s. The possessive of, say, Steve Howe, is Howe’s. #imsorry
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Dcbowling wrote:I used to keep all my guitars on my wall but one time my wife got mad and launched one at me... Since then, they go in the cases, lol. Thank God it was only a Fender.
If that’s true...oh my.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”