Help me ID this 350

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Jangleism

Help me ID this 350

Post by Jangleism »

I bought this guitar in the 90's. I understood it to be an 80's reissue of some sort. I can't find any information on it. Long scale, R tailpiece, and missing the 5th knob.
It sure sounds like a Rick. Play an Am and here comes Mary Jane.
Any ideas?
Jangleism

Re: Help me ID this 350

Post by Jangleism »

Sorry, the pics didn't load, operator error. I'll try again...
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

20210130_190240.jpg
Attachments
20210130_190240.jpg
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

20210130_190129.jpg
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Your guitar is a 350 Liverpool model in Jetglo, with 24 frets, issued February 1991.

Also has non-original "oven" knobs found on late '50s, early '60s models and reissues.
Unlike the 350V63 with 21 frets, this guitar is not a reissue.

This guitar originally had chrome-top knobs like current issues and white pickguards and truss rod cover.

Here's what your guitar looked like when issued:
4-fullsize.jpg
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your insight. I see that the date code is a 1991 guitar. I have never looked under the pickguards to see if there is evidence of resoldering. I'll look at a diagram with the 5th blend knob then look at mine to see if I can see anything obvious from losing that knob.

A long time ago I found a Rickenbacker ad, it looked like a magazine ad with a picture of the same guitar as a reissue. That file is long gone now and I can't find it online. Was there a reissue that looked like this guitar?

My question now is why do you think someone back in the early 90's would make those mods? For value, cool factor, or because they're an idiot?

I'm not exactly sure what I paid for this guitar, but I'm thinking it was between 400-600 bucks in 94 or so, give or take a couple of years. I bought it from a storefront used, not an individual.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Jangleism wrote:A long time ago I found a Rickenbacker ad, it looked like a magazine ad with a picture of the same guitar as a reissue.
This ad?
B Series Ad.jpg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It was common for people to take non-Lennon 325's and 350's and "Lennonize" them with gold guards, oven knobs, Bigsby vibratos, bowtie bridges, toaster pickups, tuners, etc. If they didn't change the pickups, I doubt they messed with the electronics, unless it was for another reason, like creating a different control for the middle pickup (an unrelated but also not uncommon mod).
redamber

Post by redamber »

libratune wrote:Your guitar is a 350 Liverpool model in Jetglo, with 24 frets, issued February 1991.
Here's another example of a 350 Liverpool. This is my 350 in Mapleglo, with Black Hardware and Black Trim (350 MG BH BT), production date April 1989 - believed to be in all original condition. Strangely though, both Ron's guitar and my example do have the 'fifth knob'....and, the shape of the headstock on the photos posted by Jangleism (which seems to extend past the nut) look distinctly odd.
DSCF0759 Resize 2.2.jpg
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

redamber wrote: the shape of the headstock on the photos posted by Jangleism (which seems to extend past the nut) look distinctly odd.
What you’re seeing these is a leather strap attached to the tuners, for hanging the guitar on the wall.
redamber

Post by redamber »

sloop_john_b wrote: What you’re seeing there is a leather strap attached to the tuners, for hanging the guitar on the wall.
OK - I'll buy that!
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

jps wrote:
Jangleism wrote:A long time ago I found a Rickenbacker ad, it looked like a magazine ad with a picture of the same guitar as a reissue.
This ad?
B Series Ad.jpg
That could be it, I can't read the text, but it does look like similar, other than the toasters and I cant count the frets.

Is that for an 80's guitar?
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

redamber wrote:
libratune wrote:Your guitar is a 350 Liverpool model in Jetglo, with 24 frets, issued February 1991.
Here's another example of a 350 Liverpool. This is my 350 in Mapleglo, with Black Hardware and Black Trim (350 MG BH BT), production date April 1989 - believed to be in all original condition. Strangely though, both Ron's guitar and my example do have the 'fifth knob'....and, the shape of the headstock on the photos posted by Jangleism (which seems to extend past the nut) look distinctly odd.
The attachment DSCF0759 Resize 2.2.jpg is no longer available
It's some weird shadow, here's a better photo of the guitar.
Attachments
350.jpg
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

Thanks to everyone for your comments, insight, and making a newbie feel welcome.
Jangleism

Post by Jangleism »

Jangleism wrote:
jps wrote:
This ad?
B Series Ad.jpg
That could be it, I can't read the text, but it does look like similar, other than the toasters and I cant count the frets.

Is that for an 80's guitar?
I was on mobile earlier and couldn't see the picture, now i'm on a PC and can see it. That's not the ad I remember. I seem to remember that the guitars were vertical and the one that looked like mine was on the left.

Oh well, thanks

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”