1988 620/6 Neck Adjustment Failure

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sirswithin

1988 620/6 Neck Adjustment Failure

Post by sirswithin »

Recently acquired this 1988 620/6 Ric and noticed the string action was very high. Upwards of 1/4" by the time the neck hits the body. From what I've read this should indicate an upward bow of the neck and that it is in need of a trussrod adjustment. With the body firmly clamped in place, I've uncovered the trussrods and attempted to make the adjustment. I've turned each rod clockwise as much as I could, although they look and feel to be at their limit for going in that direction. It made no difference. I went in the opposite direction, which just loosens the nuts, again with no change. I applied pressure to the head stock until the strings were just off the frets and tightened the nuts once again. Still nothing. It seems like no amount of loosening, tightening, or bending makes any difference. It's my understanding that you should be able to do this with the strings under tension, so that's what I've done, but I haven't seen any results. Is there something I'm not doing?
Attachments
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg
IMG_0261.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 1988 620/6 Neck Adjustment Failure

Post by jps »

sirswithin wrote:...I've uncovered the trussrods and attempted to make the adjustment. I've turned each rod clockwise as much as I could...
Going by your photo of the TR nuts you certainly seemed to have tightened them as far as you could. Hope you didn't do this all at once. Got a photo of what they looked like before you began your adjusting?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Just curious, what gauge / brand are those flatwounds?
sirswithin

Post by sirswithin »

Going by your photo of the TR nuts you certainly seemed to have tightened them as far as you could. Hope you didn't do this all at once. Got a photo of what they looked like before you began your adjusting?
The trussrod nuts are pretty much as I found them. I may have added a quarter turn to each, but that's it.
sirswithin

Post by sirswithin »

These are the strings that came with the guitar, so I can't really tell. They are super smooth though.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

sirswithin wrote:
These are the strings that came with the guitar, so I can't really tell. They are super smooth though.
They appear to be quite heavy, and may be high tension. I would consider trying some lower tension / lighter gauge strings.
sirswithin

Post by sirswithin »

They appear to be quite heavy, and may be high tension. I would consider trying some lower tension / lighter gauge strings.
I found what looks to be an old package of Dean Markley Jazz with a previous set of strings inside. It doesn't say flatwound anywhere but they do range from .054 to .012. If these have been on for a long period of time (years) could they have damaged the neck?
Attachments
IMG_0267.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, that would probably do it!

I would put lighter strings on (9s or 10s), try to put the TR nuts where they were (best you can estimate), wait a week, then start messing with the TR's again, a 1/4 turn at a time and wait 24 hours to see the effect each time. If none of that helps, the TR's may just be spinning - sometimes the nuts at the other end come loose or something. Can't remember the details.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Remove the strings and completely loosen the TR nuts, and let the guitar sit for awhile (how long, not sure, maybe a week or two). For kicks, try leaving the instrument laying prone on it face to see if gravity can help, some.

Also, remove the neck pickup so you can have a look-see at the heel end of the rods to see how far up into the neck they have traveled. The nuts at that end of the rods should be about flush with the end of the neck. If they are sunken in, you will have to address that.
sirswithin

Post by sirswithin »

Yeah, that would probably do it!

I would put lighter strings on (9s or 10s), try to put the TR nuts where they were (best you can estimate), wait a week, then start messing with the TR's again, a 1/4 turn at a time and wait 24 hours to see the effect each time. If none of that helps, the TR's may just be spinning - sometimes the nuts at the other end come loose or something. Can't remember the details.
The trussrod nuts are pretty much already where they were, so all I can do is back them off. The trussrods are definitely not spinning as they stay firmly in position when the nuts are loosened or tightened. I'll do the string swap this weekend and take it from there. Thanks for the advice!
sirswithin

Post by sirswithin »

jps wrote:Remove the strings and completely loosen the TR nuts, and let the guitar sit for awhile (how long, not sure, maybe a week or two). For kicks, try leaving the instrument laying prone on it face to see if gravity can help, some.

Also, remove the neck pickup so you can have a look-see at the heel end of the rods to see how far up into the neck they have traveled. The nuts at that end of the rods should be about flush with the end of the neck. If they are sunken in, you will have to address that.
Thanks, will do!
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

The way my luthier explained working with Rickenbacker truss rods is like this--you loosen the truss rods, then physically move the neck where you want it. Then, tighten the truss rods to hold it in place. If you're trying to move the neck just using the rods, it's going to put too much tension on there.
Last edited by Clifton on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

This video is pretty good explaining it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32y3_vTIQLk
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Clifton wrote:The way my luthier explained working with Rickenbacker truss rods is like this--you loosen the truss rods, then physically move the neck where you want it. Then, tighten the truss rods to hold it in place. If you're trying to move the neck just using the rods, it's going to put too much tension on there.
1988 truss rods should not have to be adjusted that way.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

sloop_john_b wrote:
Clifton wrote:The way my luthier explained working with Rickenbacker truss rods is like this--you loosen the truss rods, then physically move the neck where you want it. Then, tighten the truss rods to hold it in place. If you're trying to move the neck just using the rods, it's going to put too much tension on there.
1988 truss rods should not have to be adjusted that way.
From what I understand, all Rickenbacker truss rods should be adjusted that way.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”