360 edge binding

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Marc

360 edge binding

Post by Marc »

This may sound a bit dumb and picky but here goes... I recently bought a 1991 360 6 string in Jetglo it is in good but played condition, there are hairline cracks in the white body binding. Is this normal on a Rickenbacker? Just part of the ageing process? Please advise.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Marc, are the cracks actually in the binding or in the clear coat? If its in the clear coat, this sometimes happens. Not a problem unless it just drives you crazy :-)
Marc

Post by Marc »

A few look like they are in the binding. Is it the sort of thing that gets worse. Thanks for the response.
tom

Post by tom »

Im in the same club with my Rick 12 v64, the neck binding is cracking, it has those little hair line cracks, its not just weather checks...
I hope it doesnt start falling off...Image
Ive never seen this happen on a Rickenbacker before...most of the time it happens on old 60s Gretsches, from when they used solvents to semi-melt the bindings so they would bend and melt into the pores of the wood....
I guess there's not much that can be done other than replacing the bindings...you would also have to respray the neck?Image
Im not going to worry about it till it starts falling off...cross yer fingers....
tom

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”