Differences between 12 strings

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Steve

Differences between 12 strings

Post by Steve »

Hi - I would appreciate any help, as I'm trying to choose a 12 string ...I'm stuck between the following:

350-12V63
360-12V64
660-12

I haven't been able to play each, as the guitar stores in the area stick to 360's, it seems. How do these compare in terms of sound ... I guess I'm getting partial to the 350, but don't want to veer too far from the sound of a 360. (Used to own a 360-12, selling it was a mistake I won't make again!

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve: Just based on your history with Rickenbacker instruments, namely your fondness of the 360/12, I would recommend that you stick with the 360/12 or 360/12V64 (should you want the vintage toaster sound). The consensus among players of the 360/12 is that this sound is qualitatively different from the solidbodies such as the 660/12. Three pickups on the 350/12, assuming that they are wired in the conventional factory manner, will not give you much more flexibility than two pickup models and will sound different from the 360/12.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
steve

Post by steve »

Thanks, Peter!
I'm definitely going to attempt to play each before I make a final decision ... I am definitely looking for that vintage 12 sound to complement the 1997 that I picked up two years ago ... that guitar still floors me, in that it's seems so much 'louder' than any rick-6 I played before.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve: Very interesting that you should make that comment about the 1997. I have played and listened to a Model 1997 of a close friend and it certainly seems to have a fuller sound than other models. Perhaps someone else will coment.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I don't have any idea about the volume difference but here is my two cents on the 24 fret issue.

The sound of a neck pickup is definitely different on a 24 fret neck compared to the same guitar with either a 22 fret or 21 fret neck.This is for all guitars made.
The harmonic content is really strong on a non 24 fret neck and the tone is richer as the coil is directly under the point where that 24th fret would be.
yes it is nice to have that fret sometimes,but I feel that the tone is more important than the fret.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
steve

Post by steve »

I've seen numerous postings and articles on the net regarding the modification of a Rick's electronics in order to move closer to that 'true'
60's sound; I would not consider having any of that work done on the 1997!

In addition to the 360-12, I also had a 325-V63 which I parted ways with in order to purchase a 60's Ludwig drum kit (I play Ringo in a local Beatles tribute band) ... that 325 looked great, but gave me no end of problems in the way of tuning, etc. The accent vibrato looked great, but was a nightmare. It has to be one of the greatest looking guitars around, though; thus my curiosity regarding the 350-12.
steve

Post by steve »

Mark - thanks for your insight; our posts were nearly simultaneous and thus I wasn't able to thank you in my above post. The 1997 really has a lot of 'bite' to it ... each chord is a joy to play!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve: Thanks for raising this interesting question and Mark thanks for your comments with respect to the 21vs24 fret harmonic differences. An important feature to consider when purchasing an instrument.

RALPH

Post by RALPH »

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET
A MORE " JANGLY " RIC SOUND OUT OF A 660/12
I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERENT PEDALS,INC BOSS
COMPRESSOR & CHORUS. I HAVE A FENDER HOT ROD DEVILLE 4/10. IT SEEM NO MATTER WHAT I DO IT STILL
HAS A " BASSY ". WHAT OTHER TYPE OF AMP MIGHT HELP ? IF I WANT THE CLASSIC RIC SOUND SHOULD I
GET A 360/12 ?? WOULD A VOX AC 30 HELP. I'M OPEN
TO SUGGESTIONS

THANKS
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

First I would try installing a .0047mfd cap ,that will do it .

If you never run the Rick-o-sound here's the mod I do for lots of players.

Remove all the wire from both jacks.Solder one end of the .0047mfd cap to the hot lug of the Stereo jack,slice a wire onto the cap and run that over to the hot lug on the mono /standard jack.I then run a wire from the ground on the stereo jack to the mono/standard jack.
Using the shielded cable that was connected to the stereo jack originally,I solder that to the mono jack hot and ground.This then goes to the volume controls.You will need to install a jumper wire to connect the lugs that the jack leads used to be connected to.
This will leave you with a mono guitar but you will have the option of ;
"Rick-O-Sound jack" will give you Vintage jangle tone

"standard jack" will give you the sound that you currently have.It's the best of both worlds and you won't have to deal with faulty jack syndrome again (if ever you did before).

The cap was removed in the 1980's and this is what helped the tone.The semi hollow body does too,but not like the capacitor.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
MARTY

Post by MARTY »

Hi Steve if you've not bought your dream RIC yet,
I wanted to tell you my 3 pickup maple 370 still
makes me very happy.Theres just something about
the hollow body and a good amp that gets me!Try as
many as you can,guitars are like women(no 2 the same)also the bridges with 12 saddles will keep
you in love!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Marty, Peter, and all- I actually got a 360-12V64 fireglo last week ... I haven't been able to put it down since! (Well I have, but only to stare at it!!!)
Hopefully I will be able to post a photo soon ... no digital camera yet.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”