M12 Amp

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

aoresteen

M12 Amp

Post by aoresteen »

I can't seem to find any info on the Rickenbacker M12 amp. Mine has 2 6L6 tubes with an empty socket that could take a third one. Should I put one in?

Where should I send this amp for a recovering, cap job, and general check up?

Any idea as to when the M12 was made?

Thanks!

Tony

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome Tony!

That third socket is probably for a tube rectifier, I would strongly suggest you do not put a 6L6 in there!
aoresteen

Post by aoresteen »

I shipped the amp to Kendrick Amps in Texas. They will take a look at it. I'll let you know what they say.

Tony
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I had them redo a BF Bandmaster I used to have. They did a nice job but they were very expensive.
aoresteen

Post by aoresteen »

It appears that the grey covering is not available. Should I have it recovered in black or tweed or what color?

Thanks!

Tony
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tony: The M series were grey. Black would be my next choice, but I would ask John Hall if he knows of a source for the grey first.

Fender sells a 0027204000 Grey Smoke Cobra Amp Covering.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
aoresteen

Post by aoresteen »

Peter,

John doesn't know of a source. He suggested getting a vintage Ric case and using the covering off of it.

Thanks for the tip on the Fender grey stuff. I'll check it out.

Tony
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That looks great Paul.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
aoresteen

Post by aoresteen »

Oh, John Hall said that the M12 appeared in the 1957 to 1961 price lists. So it seems that they were made for 5 years, maybe 6.
monza

Post by monza »

I had an early 50s M12 and it was that saddle brown with tan, chrome panel, but it was a single 12" speaker. Something like a Tweed Deluxe.
The downside was that the preamp tubes were close to the transformer, if memory serves, that was the reason for the hum issues. The M11 was a better amp, but your M12 is clearly different, a later version. I think mine was about a 1953 or 54.
Norm in San Diego
tweedaddict

Re: M12 Amp

Post by tweedaddict »

Wow, this is the only other image ive seen of a m12 with twin 12 speakers....
mine is pictured below... does anyone know more about these cool amps? does a schematic exist anywhere??
thanks, GREAT Forum you guys have here...

fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

NCM sells grey vinyl similar to that used on Vox organs.
http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/v ... vinyl.html
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The vinyl on an M12 amplifier is the same as that found on early ('57-59) RIC cases. It is a thin, smooth-tex, light grey with a darker gray printed "leather grain" pattern on it. But it has no real textured grain to it.

The VOX stuff sold by NCM is what's usually called either "pyramid" vinyl or "chain mail" vinyl. It's neat-looking, but far from original to this application. Why not try some of the silver Tolex (used on later Rick amps) or the Gray Taurus Tolex (close in appearance to the old stuff, but still no cigar) sold by tubeampparts.com? Should take just about 1 1/2 yards X 54" to do it. Be sure to use water-soluble contact cement, NOT spray glue or flammable (solvent-based) contact cement. You can apply water-based CC with a brush or roller and put it out into the sun or use a hair dryer to dry it.

90% of the spray glues out there will fail in sunlight. Many will not glue overlapped Tolex well. Solvent-based cements should be applied with a spray gun (NOT a brush) to avoid softening and bubbling the Tolex.

Don't get me wrong--you could break all the rules and still come out with a passable job, but you'd probably say, "Never again!".
steambyrd

Post by steambyrd »

This thread reminds me of my black tolex issue I had with a Les Paul case. The case for my '74 Deluxe Goldtop was functionally ok, but pretty beat from gigging by the previous owner. I got it from him in '87, and there were still a number of cars out there with "vinyl" tops. I went to an auto parts store and bought a vinyl repair kit, which consisted of a jar of black vinyl goo, and several pebbled patterned sheets. You smeared the goo over the bad or torn area, and placed one of the pebbled sheets with the grain that best matched the orginal pattern on top, then applied an iron to it. It wasn't perfect, but it made the case a lot more presentable, and I still use it today.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”