Good Amp in the $600 to $900 range for 4003

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

westtexasrickenbacker

Good Amp in the $600 to $900 range for 4003

Post by westtexasrickenbacker »

I'm confused after looking through catalogs for bass amps.

I play small gigs of say, 70 to maybe 200 people max! Usually, it's more like 70 to 120 people. The rooms are medium-sized at most. I'm thinking about 200 to 300 watts is about what I need, but I appeal to those who have better input than my ownImage

Whoever is already playing their 4003 in these situations, please write in with your advice. I want enough power that the bass sound only distorts if I want it to distort, not from the amp simply turned up trying to keep up with the guitars and drums.
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

I've said this before but I run a 4003 through a Vox T-60. They were discontinued last year but you can still find them for around $250....great amps. But if I were to buy new I'd say the Ampeg B100R or B200R.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

200-300 watt amps in a medium sized room is excessive. As Alisha states, a 60 watt amp (good design with efficient speakers) is more than adequate for bass. That will help you get your cost down.
Ka is a wheel.
mp_me

Post by mp_me »

Check out the lower priced Ashdowns
westtexasrickenbacker

Hi All... again!

thanks for the msgs. Mark, tell me about Ashdowns, please. Would you recommend a Bass Combo or the Amp and cabinet.

Alisha, I would love to get a Vox. Where did you get your T-60 from?
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

I got mine shipped from a place in GA that I can't remember the name at the moment...hmm...

BUT - I did see a couple last weekend at Kennelly Keys in Lynnwood (a bit north of Seattle) (http://www.kennellykeysmusic.com/). Check out the website with phone/hours/info. If you decide that's the one for you and they don't ship I can get it for you and ship it out. Vox's website has the T-60 info on there (http://www.voxamps.co.uk/history/prodArch/T60.htm).
westtexasrickenbacker

Hi Alisha,

thanks much for the information on the T-60 Vox. How long have you had the amp? Has it been durable?
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

I've had it for about a year. It's been very durable but hasn't really travelled that much. It's a heavy dude....but for that price and the quality it can't be beat. I mean...it's a Vox!
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I'm currently working it from a different angle, by using a Korg Ampworks bass digital modeling processor as a preamp fed into a stereo power amp,then on to whichever speaker(s) suit the occasion.I can pick and choose which amp to use,but 100wt./channel has done everything, so far.
When you're going throught hell, just keep going. If you stop you'll be there forever.
gothbin

Post by gothbin »

I use an Eden WT300 amp, and for small gigs my 2 x 10" Mesa cab - do I need more power then I pull out my Peavey 4 x 10" as extension cab along with the Mesa. Beside this setup I use a SansAmp bassdriver di for a slightly distorted sound as the Eden is clean as can be.
Beside owning 14 guitars and basses and my own homestudio, what do I want more?
koobler

Post by koobler »

go for a vintage Ampeg V-4B. 100 tube watts. SVT preamp, littler box. still weighs about 50 pounds, but you can score them for pretty cheap. there's one on the talkbass forums right now for $450. they're pretty wonderful sounding. I used to run one before I upgraded to a '72 blackline SVT for more volume. either one will give you that vintage tube Ric growl you've come to expect. I'd recommend running it into one of the old Ampeg 2x15's, or a simple Ampeg 4x10". either would articulate the sound absolutely great, and it'd save you the hassle of lugging an 8x10" around like I have to for my huge amp.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”