Problem using a cord with an M14A

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dr_bob
RRF Consultant

Problem using a cord with an M14A

Post by dr_bob »

I recently purchased an M14 A. After receiving it I put the tubes back in and turned it on. Power came on but no guitar -- only static and hum. Took the tubes out tried again same result. I plugged the same guitar with the same cord into a different amp and it worked fine.

So I took the amp to my local guitar store here in Saint Louis and they plugged in and the amp worked fine.

Brought it home and I got the same result as before -- no guitar, static and crackling noises as well.

Although the guitar and cord worked fine with a different amp, on a whim I switched cords and hooray the amp worked. It seems that the old tube amp doesn't like my expensive low noise cord with a gold-tipped jack plug. But the amp works just fine with a different (silver-tipped jack) and fairly cheap cord.

I'm trying to figure out why. Does anyone (calling all electrical engineers) have an explanation?
The world is made of stories not atoms and every guitar has a story.
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

I'm not an electrical engineer, but put the tips of your two cords together side by side, and I'm guessing you'll find that they're not the same size...
dr_bob
RRF Consultant

Post by dr_bob »

Thanks but they are the exact same size. I know my initial post sounds -- well I'm sure it makes me sound pretty ignorant. But I can't figure out an explanation why the one cord will not work in the M14A but works in my other two amps.
The world is made of stories not atoms and every guitar has a story.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

You could compare resistances between cables if you have a meter.

Impedance cannot be measured statically, but you can at least make a comparison of resistance.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”