What kind of amp would sound good with a 350v63?

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Jude

What kind of amp would sound good with a 350v63?

Post by Jude »

I'm new to the forum and have a few questions! OK so I'm thinking either a Vox AC30 or a marshall. The 350 has vintage pickups so if I use it with an ac30 think it'll sound too vintage? I'd like to do modern tones too. If its not really possible then I'd consider selling my 350 for a 360 I suppose. What do you guys think?
Thanks!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: What kind of amp would sound good with a 350v63?

Post by jps »

Your age will make a difference in the vintage sound, also! :mrgreen:

What vintage are YOU?
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Coming from the guy with the vintage avatar! 8) I don't think an AC30 with toaster on your guitar will stick you in the 'vintage only' category. You can drive the hell out of an AC30 and get good crunch and distortion.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

"Too vintage"? I never hoid such a thing.

"Too vintage" is wine that's gone to vinegar. But use of this term for musical sound is so subjective as to defy logic...
Jude

Post by Jude »

jingle_jangle wrote:"Too vintage"? I never hoid such a thing.

"Too vintage" is wine that's gone to vinegar. But use of this term for musical sound is so subjective as to defy logic...
I suppose your right you can never be "too vintage" :lol: but, I suppose I was more of asking how versatile it would be because I'd like to be able to play newer styles of music not just vintage. Also I'm still in high school so I'm not vintage =) but, I mostly like older music. It's just that I'm afraid when I want that modern high gain sound I won't be able to get it with the ac30+toaster combination.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Hey Jude (ow!), one option is to put a RIC higain or humbucker in the bridge position of a 350 - this way, you can get the "modern" tones, but also the great sound of the middle and neck toasters.
Jude

Post by Jude »

I suppose I could try that. I might just end up trading it for a 360 but, we'll see.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

John's suggestion is a good, solid solution.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Keep your axe and VOX vintage. You can always add a pedal for more crunch etc. Like making soup..you can always add more salt if you need it but can't take it out if there's too much.. 8)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

As for an amp, figure out what your priorities are. If 90% of the time you're playing with a lot of crunch or gain, then something like a Marshall or a Mesa might be what you want. If it's half and half, I might go for something like an AC-30 or a Twin Reverb and a good dirt pedal. I swear by my Analogman-modded Ibanez TS-9 "classic mod".
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hey Jude! (Speaking of 'older' music)......... :mrgreen:

I've played my 350v63s through a number of amps - my Vox AC-30CC1, Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 and Roland JC-120. I've also played them through both a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and 4x10, a Bad Cat Hot Cat and a Marshall AVT150 combo.

The Roland is definitely my 'go to' amp because I can get a nice 'clean' sound. If I want something other than that I use a Korg AX1500G pedal with it.

Without effects I found the Hot Rod Deville 4x10 the most versatile. The AC30-CC1 is also very nice when overdriven and puts out some nice 'buesy' tones.
Jude

Post by Jude »

OK so basically its between a marshall what model? Vox ac30, a Fender hot rod deville, Or some other similar fender amp. Also what about the fender deluxe reverb?
Thanks!
Rickengretsch

Post by Rickengretsch »

The DRRI is IMHO the best of the Fender RIs. It will give you a fantastic clean tone and has great verb. There again, if you want dirt more often, go with an AC30 or Marshall (either is a good choice, but The AC30 is just made for Rics IMO).
Don't EVER Cheat Yourself!!
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Jude, try your 350V63 out with a Vox Valvetronix Blue AD120VTX or AD60VTX (Korean made if possible). While these are no longer sold new (maybe NOS) you can usually find them at very good prices second hand. You'll be amazed at the styles and tones you can play with this Ric model bone stock.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Okay, so I have a vested interest. Still, don't make up your mind until you've heard the Bad Cat Lil' 15 (head). Like an AC15 on steroids, small package, built like a tank. I designed this amp with the Ric 350V series in mind. Works well with SG's too! Call my boss James for a dealer near you. You won't be disappointed.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”