Best DI for Recording

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

danclaro

Best DI for Recording

Post by danclaro »

Lately I've been going direct with my 4001v63 - into a computer and also to a mixer - for rehearsing and recording. I'm investigating DIs, and thought I'd ask the list for suggestions. It seems the Avalon U5 is a standard. But everyone is raving lately about A-Designs REDDI. That DI is quite pricey, but it is supposed to have a B-15 like tone. Has anyone used either of these DIs with their Ricks? I'm looking for a classic sound that I can use for a variety of styles, from the Beatles (with flatwounds), to Yes (with roundwounds). I should add that I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI that sounds great with my Fender Jazz but not so great with the Rick.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: Best DI for Recording

Post by blueflamerick »

I've gotten good results with a Countryman 85.

http://www.countryman.com/store/product ... 52&catid=3
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I used to have the Avalon U5, it is quite nice if a bit pricey. I didn't like that it did not have a power switch, was awkwardly shaped (half rack width but 2 spaces high), a couple of the Tone Bank settings were kind of nice but not really useful, I felt it would have been nice to be able to boost highs a bit but this is not an option with it. I have a blackface Furman PQ-3 that I replaced the stock TL 072 opamps with LM 833 opamps and added a top of the line Jensen line output transformer with ground lift switch to. It gives me virtually the same sound as the U5 with the addition of far more extensive EQ capability. I sold the U5 in favor of the PQ-3, which costs a whole lot less.

I have read a lot of favorable things about the Reddi but it does primarily offer the fat tone of a vintage B15, which may not be the best tone for a grindy Rick.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I am currently using a bi-amp setup ... I split the mono signal into 2 signals ... for a dirty / growlly mid range sound I use my bass pod. I model an ampeg tube head and add distortion ... for a clae sound I use a MXR bass di + ... I then mix them back together with a rolls 4 channel mixer ... I can blend the dirty and clean signal ... the clean gives me clean lows and highs and the dirty gives me the live growlly mids ...

The result is quite nice ... no bass farting out sound and it is not a sterile no personality sound that direct can give ...
danclaro

Post by danclaro »

Thanks very much guys for offering your suggestions about the best di setup. I actually bought an Avalon U5 and like jps found that it sounded best without the eq engaged. But it was always too clean and sterile sounding to me. I managed to find a SIB Fatdrive and tried running that before the Avalon but that just gave me a big fat sound which was good for some things not for others. So then I hooked up the Sansamp BDDI between the Fatdrive and the Avalon. Toggling between those worked ok but it got complicated and still wasn't the sound I wanted to hear.

So, then a few weeks ago someone on the local Craigslist mentioned having "a few old Ampegs" for sale. Long story short, I wound up returning the Avalon and buying a 74 Ampeg B25B plus the 2x15 cabinet built for that head. It's in great shape, and boy does it sound exactly like I have always wanted my Rickenbacker to sound! No pedals, just straight in with the bright switch engaged and there it is. Not stereo, but still great. The amp also sounds awesome with my P-Bass that has Lakland Joe Osborn flatwound strings on it. It's the other sound I've always wanted to find. I'm not sure if this rig is going to be loud enough with a rock and roll drummer, but it is way louder than I expected 55 watts would be.

Now, what to do about the di? Anyone have suggestions about the best microphone for capturing a bass amp?
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

danclaro wrote:Anyone have suggestions about the best microphone for capturing a bass amp?

Sennheiser MD421.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

danclaro wrote:Now, what to do about the di? Anyone have suggestions about the best microphone for capturing a bass amp?
Just about anything except what "engineers" say to use (kickdrum mics!). I have been looking into an Audio Technica AT4041 mic, as I also want something good for acoustic guitar.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I like to mike my amp with a Shure sm57 ... I put it right on the edge of the speaker

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”