Rickenbacker M-30 Ek-O-Sound Amplifier

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Royce

Rickenbacker M-30 Ek-O-Sound Amplifier

Post by Royce »

Does anybody here have one of these?..Can i get a schematic for it somewhere?..thanks, royce
Thankful to be included
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Re: Rickenbacker M-30 Ek-O-Sound Amplifier

Post by jwilli »

They are extremely rare. I saw one on an Italian website a while ago.
Go here and scroll down:
http://www.guitaranch.com/catalogo_ampli.htm
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

jwilli wrote:They are extremely rare. I saw one on an Italian website a while ago.
Go here and scroll down:
Are those for sale? No photos? Seriously?
Royce

Post by Royce »

jwilli wrote:They are extremely rare. I saw one on an Italian website a while ago.
Go here and scroll down:
Thanks for the reply, and for that link too!..I contacted that guy, but he won't sell outside the europeon union, and he wants $4,550 dollars for it!!!..the amplifiers not worth that much, is it?..Do you have any idea how many of them are floating around out there?
Thankful to be included
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Royce wrote:I contacted that guy, but he won't sell outside the europeon union, and he wants $4,550 dollars for it!!!
Well... at least he quoted you a price. When I asked him (8-10 years ago?), it wasn't even for sale.

Royce wrote:Do you have any idea how many of them are floating around out there?
There are not enough of these amps to warrant the phrase "floating around."
Scarce as hen's teeth is more appropriate.
And those that actually work are even fewer.

You do know that the delay time isn't variable... right?
Member #03
Royce

Post by Royce »

sir_andrew_of_left_coast wrote:
Royce wrote:I contacted that guy, but he won't sell outside the europeon union, and he wants $4,550 dollars for it!!!
Well... at least he quoted you a price. When I asked him (8-10 years ago?), it wasn't even for sale.

Royce wrote:Do you have any idea how many of them are floating around out there?
There are not enough of these amps to warrant the phrase "floating around."
Scarce as hen's teeth is more appropriate.
And those that actually work are even fewer.

You do know that the delay time isn't variable... right?

He sure doesn't seem to be in a hurry to sell anything, does he!
I guess i should forget about ever finding one of these amps then..Have you ever played thorough one?

Yes, i did read somewhere about the delay time being fixed..Do you know what the delay time was fixed at?..I know it's silly, but i just want to get one because of my love for Scotty Moore's playing , which is what got me started down this road of insanity to begin with!
Thankful to be included
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

I've never even had the pleasure to see one in person, let alone give one a try. :(

According to Deke Dickerson's site, the delay time is "perfect for rockabilly music." So... it must be in slapback territory (100-200 milliseconds?).

http://www.dekedickerson.com/gear.php
Member #03
Royce

Post by Royce »

sir_andrew_of_left_coast wrote:I've never even had the pleasure to see one in person, let alone give one a try. :(

According to Deke Dickerson's site, the delay time is "perfect for rockabilly music." So... it must be in slapback territory (100-200 milliseconds?).

http://www.dekedickerson.com/gear.php
Well, maybe someday we'll get lucky and find one! (I can dream, can't I?)

Thanks for the link to that site!..That sure is some interesting reading going on there..what a history!
Thankful to be included
customxke

Post by customxke »

Jim Rhoads had one of these about 15 years ago, or more. I regret not buying it about once a day. You almost can't stop yourself from playing Mystery Train on it. If you want "that" sound, it all begins and ends with that amp.
Royce

Post by Royce »

customxke wrote:Jim Rhoads had one of these about 15 years ago, or more. I regret not buying it about once a day. You almost can't stop yourself from playing Mystery Train on it. If you want "that" sound, it all begins and ends with that amp.
Oh man.......You're KILLING Me!!! :mrgreen:
Thankful to be included
customxke

Post by customxke »

Royce wrote:
customxke wrote:Jim Rhoads had one of these about 15 years ago, or more. I regret not buying it about once a day. You almost can't stop yourself from playing Mystery Train on it. If you want "that" sound, it all begins and ends with that amp.
Oh man.......You're KILLING Me!!! :mrgreen:

Yeah...The choice was between that, or a NOS Rose Morris AC30 TBR in fawn, with brass hardware and leather handles. I still have the AC-30, and sometimes it works. I'm killing me now.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

you can make exactly same sound with decent cathode biased amp and fulltone tape echo (or any decent delay) @ 1/4 of the price with 1/100 of the noise. m-30 is nice thing for vintage buff and rockabilly crazy guy to buy ...to complement his 58' gretsch 6120 shrine. i sure would love to have one too but it is not something to use for real any more (besides the fact that it is crazy rare). it is right there with early standel tube amps and tweed early fenders and early vox amps on rarity scale.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dusan, you have a way with words! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you left out Selmer amps.

Anybody know where I can get some dark green alligator Tolex or Vynide?
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

:) "way with words" - that's very nice way to describe my "accent". :lol: :lol:

paul - if i see selmer croc i'll let you know - i mean it.

i don't care for old amps any more.... but i used to. bit of history: i used to be crazy standel & sano amp collector and i gave up on it some time ago. everytime i got another one for my pile it was more and more expensive and eventually it got to the point that i picked up used juke prototype 112 for almost the same money as my last sano vrt30 was and so i sold all the sanos one by one with their quirky 8417 power tubes. they were great amps but ....pair of nos 8417 goes for like $200 on a good day so it was beyond reason to feed such a habit. the same thing happened with standels - great amps - but - everything pre 1962 is crazy expensive and everything after 62 is crazy epoxied in and consequently beyond normal repair situation. so they all went marching out one by one hurrah! hurrah!

i have learned my lesson: i recommend to everybody who is looking for new amp to get brand new ptp made by some small maker. those are mostly made from good reliable new parts and can be serviced and it is good way to support small cottage industry.
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

A realistic and forthright personal creed, Dusan. I have only owned old Fenders and am now down to one perfect working cream Dual Showman.

I do agree that we should support boutique amp builders. The problem with boutique ptp amps is that everybody is so resale conscious; many musicians are constantly looking for the "new" or "ultimate" sound, and consequently dispose of and acquire new amps. And boutiques, unless legendary, suffer atrocious resale value.

The reason amps like the Kustom Coupes are so popular is that they look boutique and sound very nice but are more "mainstream".

Would I buy a new Super Reverb RI? In a minute, if I needed one amp and had a grand to spend. Sad, isn't it?

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”