Rickenbacker M-30 Ek-O-Sound Amplifier

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rickenbacker M-30 Ek-O-Sound Amplifier

Post by doctorwho »

Great photodocumentation, Frank. I am glad that that one went to somebody here on the Forum. :D
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
redtoploader

Post by redtoploader »

I've been listening also...I own a '60 Supersonic.

I've been wondering about the trannies myself. My amp has the original OT(ink stamp on top frame like yours) but a changed PT...i'd like to find an orginal replacement if at all possible.

I've always thought these were possibly made by triad...at least the grey PTs. I've seen a couple m-12's with the triad logo stamped on the grey bell covers of the PT.

I've also seen these type OTs in late 50's tweed deluxes and princetons and vibro-luxes. They all have the black ink stamped, three digit number on top...same font. Open frames, all have the plastic bobbins. Don't know if they are triad, but I suspect the fenders used the same make as these late 50s/early rick amps.

It makes sense that Fender and Rick would use similar suppliers, because of the close connection there.
TelecasterTech

WARBLY SOUND FIXED - TAPE DELAY BOARD

Post by TelecasterTech »

Hi all!

For those of you still following or interested, and perhaps also some others out there with similar symptoms, my tape echo had a problem following the restoration project: the treble notes sounded warbly (bass notes were great!).

So I found 2 proper idler wheels from ebay (WALSCO # 1432), and I decided to install them this weekend. While I had the tape board out, I performed other maintenance steps that I felt might make the warbly treble note problem go away. Well..... IT DID.

Here's what I did:
1 - changed the idler wheel - In my photos, you can see the comparison between my old worn one and the 2 new ones.
2 - made a longer tape loop, now it's not so tight (slides better.? Less strain on the motor/wheels.?)
3 - cleaned new ldler wheel and pinch roller with Rubber Renew chemical (I had already done this when I restored the amp)
4 - tightened the screwn that allows the idler wheel MOUNT to pivot freely (you can see this in my photos.. the part with lots of green grease on it)
5 - cleaned PLAY REC & ERASE tape heads (I had also already done this when I restored the amp, but maybe got dirty during preliminary tests)
6 - used alcohol to clean the motor's spindle, the aluminum drive wheel, and all tape retainining posts/wheels
7 - loosened tension on spring that holds the pinch roller solenoid, so that, when not active, the rubber pinch roller doesn't spin anymore (not rubbing the tape)

THE AMP SOUNDS SO GREAT NOW THAT I WANT TO BUILD MYSELF A SECOND ONE TO PLAY IN STEREO!! :-)

Please enjoy the photos &:-)

Cheers!
Frank
aka Guitarsmith
Attachments
Idler Wheel mount & pivots.jpg
Idler Wheels - edge wear.jpg
Original Idler Wheel & 2 replacements - top.jpg
Tape Board - Cleaned.jpg
TelecasterTech

THANK YOU RAY & RANDY BUTTS

Post by TelecasterTech »

Thank You Forever, guys.... I will never forget.
Attachments
Me.JPG
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

On another note: Notice the covering on the tape transport mounting board?

THAT'S the stuff we wish we could get...used on amps and guitar cases until '59 or so.
TelecasterTech

Post by TelecasterTech »

Hi Paul,

Yeah, it :would: be nice to get a hold of some of that elephant-like grey material...but it wasn't tolex.

We had a forum exactly about this, remember? You were there!! : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=389698

BTW, one of your posts on page 2 of that forum mentions the Butts amp knobs look like the ones Rick was using back in the day. I'm not sure about that, but I can tell you that those knobs were made by the National Company Inc., from National Radio fame. So if you look up, for example, a National Radio model NC-183 (see photo below) you will see it's the same knobs.... the knobs were model HRS-3. They also made the knobs on the Rickenbacker Ek-O-Sounds, and those knobs are found on some old Hallicrafters radios...(again, see photo below).

I've been tracking down most of the parts to make a tape delay board as a spare for mine, and for replacement for others. I only know of 2 people out there that have made new replacement boards, but one guy wants $4000 for one, and I don't think the other guy is making them at all.

** PS, Here's a photo of Lorenz's tape delay board he made for his Echosonic replica..... notice the metal axles for the play head to travel..... he made it VARIABLE DELAY TIME, just like the patent showed..... isn't that awesome!?

Hey! Your avatar is a store that reads Vuvuzela Centre!!! Is that for REAL??? Did you open shop just for the FIFA Soccer in Africa? :-) Just Great!!!

Cheers!

Frank
Attachments
nc183.jpg
Ek-O-Sound Knobs - Hallicrafters SX-110.jpg
Nationalknobs.jpg
LorenzAmp.JPG
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I do remember--unusual for me, as my brain seems to have filled up with cheezwhiz. I don't think I ever called it "Tolex"--I recall posting a picture of an oilcloth ad. The stuff you call "elephant" is, in fact, oilcloth. It has a smoother, non-leathery texture, because it's just printed waterproofed cloth, like Ralph and Alice had on their kitchen table.

Ed and Trixie had their apartment furnished in a much better style, with a real Formica tabletop and nice mid-century stuff.

Knobs: Probably National and Hallicrafters, as well as Rickenbacker, sourced those knobs from somebody's line catalog, just like the Rogans on the early Capris. BTW, Rogan was still in business last time I checked, and I'd bet they still have the tooling for those "cooker" knobs, too...
Rayomatic

Post by Rayomatic »

jingle_jangle wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dusan, you have a way with words! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But you left out Selmer amps.
Anybody know where I can get some dark green alligator Tolex or Vynide?
Buy an old Selmer and steam it off!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Actually, I've picked up some genuine alligator hides in dark green. And I located some gold cord trim and beige canvas Vynide.

Now, to find a ratty Selmer...
TelecasterTech

Post by TelecasterTech »

(Argh! those Selmers apparently didn't sound too good...but they are appealing to the eye. Eddy Cochran couldn't stand to use them....)

So here's yet another post on this thread, not sure who's still following. But for history's sake, here's the direct full color scans of the tape delay board. I took everything off of mine, and scanned it into my computer and made 2 photos from the scans - one's the top view and one's the bottom view.

Since the photo file is exact size, this forum would not accept the size of the pictures, so I've ZIPed them together in 1 files - use WinZip or something like that to unzip the file and get the photos.

The top view wil help you see where the screw holes go. The bottom view is rather boring, but you can still see the holes where one could access the tape head nuts that hold them in place.

The board is 3/4" thick plywood, 9" wide, and 20.2" long.

Hope this helps anyone looking to make a replacement for themselves.

Frank
Attachments
TapeBoard.zip
TAPE DELAY BOARD PHOTOS - TOP AND BOTTOM VIEW
(328.51 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
walty77

Post by walty77 »

Hello Rickresource Forum.

I have recently come into possession of an M30 chassis,

and the unloaded, uncovered cabinet with grill, badge, handle, and missing back.

Since the back is gone, there is no serial number I can find anywhere on this.

Anything to do with the tape delay including the mounting board is non-existent.

The chassis is in pretty bad shape, although it's all there.

The transformer codes match those lovely shots shown previously in this thread.

Even these old parts are very very cool.

What would you guys do with it? :-)

Thanks much,

Walter

M30_face.jpg
walty77

Post by walty77 »

M30_chassis3.jpg
M30_front.jpg
M30_back.jpg
M30_handle.jpg
M30_transformer.jpg
M30_chassis1.jpg
walty77

Post by walty77 »

M30_chassis2.jpg
so here are some quick snaps of the M30.

Please note--the 12" speaker has been removed.

If anyone wants to see other photo stuff please ask I will try to make it so.

Thanks for looking!

peace,
Walter
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

This collection of M-30 parts is now on ebay -- a no reserve auction starting at $1.00: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rickenbacker-M3 ... 20be5b838e
walty77

Post by walty77 »

hey Ron, yes they are.
Thank you for posting!
Walter

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”