The Black Box Guy

Re: THe Black Metal Box Amp

Post by The Black Box Guy »

Thanks Scott, That's it!
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Glad to help! I was actually searching for something else when I stumbled upon that gem of a website. :D

- Scott
roostergirl

Post by roostergirl »

I've recently acquired a Model B lap guitar and the Black Metal Box Amp. Both are in good working condition. I was hoping someone here could help me price them. Also, would it be better to sell them together or separately. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Diane
The Black Box Guy

Post by The Black Box Guy »

Hi Roostergirl,

I sold the amp on eBay last month for $400 (including shipping) so count it as $375. Send me some pics of both pieces and I can help you with the pricing.

runruh@smdinc.com

Thanks,

Rich
Micajah

Post by Micajah »

OK it's been ten years and the link to the schematic is no longer viable - Ive seen the other schematics for model 59's but mines a '38 I believe and is point to point wired with no tagboard. The schematics I've found don't match it - Tubes are 5V4, 2- 6V6's and a 6X7.
Pics are attached.
Anyone able to help?
Attachments
RickBox- - 6.jpg
RickBox- - 5.jpg
RickBox- - 4.jpg
RickBox- - 3.jpg
RickBox- - 2.jpg
RickBox- - 1.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Micajah wrote:OK it's been ten years and the link to the schematic is no longer viable - Ive seen the other schematics for model 59's but mines a '38 I believe and is point to point wired with no tagboard. The schematics I've found don't match it - Tubes are 5V4, 2- 6V6's and a 6X7.
Pics are attached.
Anyone able to help?
Most of these really old (and, not so old) amp's circuits came straight out of the RCA tube manual (and, others similar). Probably best if you just draw up your own schematics. Most likely, a lot faster, too, than trying to find a schematic for your amp.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Ricknut63 wrote:Scott_s,you are the MAN!!! Thanks for the reference pix and the wiring diagram and schematic! I'll get my amp tech right on making me a modern version,with a 12" alnico speaker,instead of a field-coil speaker...I can use the hot lead to the field coil to drive a pilot light...that should give it a bit more bottom end and "honk"...maybe in a closed-back, retro-looking Masonite cabinet...hmmmmm...maybe an external speaker jack,too...
Just like the Gibson BR-1 amp used on the famous guitar solo on "Rock Around The Clock," and at one time having personally owned a pre-WWII Hammond A-40 cabinet with four of the same Jensen field coil speakers (two amplifier units with four 2A3 power tubes driving two speakers each, four speakers total)(given to me as a teenager in the 70's when the church I attended upgraded to a pipe organ), half the tone of the amp is due to field coil speakers that gives a girth to the tone nothing else can. Yes, finding a field coil speaker is difficult, but if you are going the reproduction route, it is necessary to get the true tone. That Jensen Field Coil 12 is an amazing beast!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just over blasts from the past like this thread. The resurrection of old gear is a pursuit like no other.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”