1949/1950 (?) Rickenbacher oddity

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ner1971

1949/1950 (?) Rickenbacher oddity

Post by ner1971 »

Hello Everyone,

I just joined the forum in hopes of getting some questions answered about an odd Rickenbacher I picked up on the 'Bay some months ago. It was listed as a 1950s M-10, but I am nearly sure it is a 1940s amp dropped into a home-made cabinet perhaps in the mid-1950s.

What I can tell you about the amp is the following: it is labeled Rickenbacher "Electro" Los Angeles (although someone scratched out the "h" at some point of time; the chassis is stamped "155"; the control knobs are off-white bakelite or plastic similar to what I have seen on other Rick amps of the 40s-50s; tubes are as follows, 2 6V6GTs, 1 5U4GB, 1 6N7GT/G, and 1 6SJ7; transformer is marked CS-5049 (1950?).

The speaker is odd too. Code is 468623. It kind of looks like an Oxford, but the code is off by 1 digit. It is most likely from 1956 though.

I've uploaded some photos here:

http://web.mac.com/nicolas.rossi

Apart from the on tone control which hisses the moment you turn it, it's got a good sound and I would like to make use of it. I've searched this forum and read up where I could online on Rick amps and have yet to find a match. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”