Found a large box labeled Rickenbacker...

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hi50

Found a large box labeled Rickenbacker...

Post by hi50 »

Hello all, I’m totally new to Rickenbacker gear, and have found this forum to be very informative. I’m posting my first post to share something I just received from my neighbor. She was cleaning out her storage room and asked me if I wanted anything before it was taken to the dump. I saw a large box labeled Rickenbacker, and opened it to find a brand new Transonic model #201 cab. It was just sitting in a corner, still in its original shipping box, never unpacked. The box was water damaged but because of the thick cardboard bottom the unit was unaffected. I offered her some money for it but she said I was doing her a favor by getting rid of a box that was too heavy for her.

I took some pictures of the box, cause I thought it might be rare to see one (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post them). Anyway its super cool and I plugged it into the speaker out port on my little 15watt Fender and it sounded great. Do you folks recommend doing anything to it before I use it more? I haven’t played it very loud, just to test if it worked. Thanks for looking.

posted some pics on picasa, hope this works. http://picasaweb.google.com/11415246404 ... 4095451154
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Found a large box labeled Rickenbacker...

Post by libratune »

Looks to me like you stumbled upon a gold mine of sorts. That cab has 2x12" and 1x15" speakers. It's a bit of a time capsule. Now you just need the head . . . :wink:

If you use the search feature on the upper right for 'transonic', you'll get a lot of hits and maybe some info you can use.

Congrats - and welcome to the Forum!
hi50

Post by hi50 »

Thanks for the tip, this site is invaluable. I'd love to find an original head, but they seem to be a little rare, looks like I have a new hobby. :D
collin

Post by collin »

Daniel-----major congrats on your score.

Rickenbacker amps aren't super collectible (compared to Fender/Vox/Marshall etc..) but out of all of them, Transonics like yours are by far the most collectible.

Major score there, NOS too!

Welcome to the RRF, stay long enough and you'll learn more about Rickenbackers than you ever cared to know. :)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Daniel! That is a wonderful acquisition!

I hope that you don't my having included the pictures within this thread as part of the record. As you surmised, it's rare to see one in an original shipping box!
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0731.jpg
IMG_0733.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg
collin wrote:... Rickenbacker amps aren't super collectible (compared to Fender/Vox/Marshall etc..) ...
I wouldn'r understate their collectibility. For every old Rickenbacker amp, there are probably a dozen Fenders/Voxes/Marshalls.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

MAN OH MAN!!!
hi50

Post by hi50 »

Thank you for posting the pictures. Could anyone point me to where I could date its production? It's stamped Model #201, serial #460.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

That is so cool !!! What a find ! :D
collin

Post by collin »

doctorwho wrote:
collin wrote:... Rickenbacker amps aren't super collectible (compared to Fender/Vox/Marshall etc..) ...
I wouldn'r understate their collectibility. For every old Rickenbacker amp, there are probably a dozen Fenders/Voxes/Marshalls.
Price is a fairly good indicator of collectibility.

They are less collectible than many vintage Fender/Vox/Marshall amps in the same way that Rickenbacker guitar's aren't as collectible as many Fender/Gibson guitars from the same period (which is evident in Fender/Gibson's much higher production numbers that still command high prices these days).

That's not to say that old Rickenbackers and Ric amps aren't collectible, its just that compared to the whole vintage guitar market....they aren't at the top of the list. (which is a good thing for us "in the know" about how cool they are!) :)
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

collin wrote: ...Price is a fairly good indicator of collectibility. ...
Ah, it's just a different point of view. Rarity is the factor which I consider greater than the monetary one. :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

hi50 wrote:Thank you for posting the pictures. Could anyone point me to where I could date its production? It's stamped Model #201, serial #460.
I believe most of the Transonics were produced in the 1968 - 70 time frame. The production date for the amp could be most accurately dated by the speaker date codes (usually 6 digits). If you could provide the codes we could have a go at the speaker mfg. and dates.

As far as its history, it is possible that this cab was unsold stock from RIC or a dealer and hence ended up in an unaddressed shipping box in a garage. There were some comments on a thread here a few months ago regarding a number of Transonic amps and cabs that were in storage at RIC and which made their way out of the factory many years after production.
hi50

Post by hi50 »

Thanks for the lead, I'll check there and report back.
ricoh

Post by ricoh »

Cool story and a great find!!!!!!!!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Lucky man! Welcome to the forum.
Ka is a wheel.
Peacefrog35

Post by Peacefrog35 »

That's just crazy! Congrats!!
"Everyone's entitled to two aren't they....this is my other one!"

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”