Transonic Review / Retrospect

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kawalsh

Re: Transonic Review / Retrospect

Post by kawalsh »

I've been using a transonic 200 I stumbled across a couple of years ago. It is unique in sound and appearance. I also use Fender and Vox tube amps, and I don't mind the lack of tubes at all in the transonic. Mine is very warm with very strong midrange and treble punch, remarkably like you would expect from a Rick guitar. It breaks up nicely when pushed a little. I bought it for the cabinet alone (2-12", 1-15") thinking the amp would be unsalvageable. I found Bob Rissi through this forum and he made the amp almost like new. He's amazing to talk to and is extremely generous with his help. So although I'm not a collector I ended up with this fantastic thing. The only problem is that it is so loud it needs to be played in a big room and I'm afraid to take it out of the house. I play bass as well and even with my Ric 4001 bass I don't like the transonic as a bass amp, but it makes every guitar I have sound great.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There is an article in the December 2010 issue of Vintage Guitar magazine on the Transonic amps. 8)
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

For a bit of eye candy, recently on ebay, two 2 x 15" Transonic cabs:
2 cabs full front.jpg
handle vent.jpg
risson

Post by risson »

The responses to the Article in " Vintage Guitar Mag " are very much appreciated.
I have always been proud of the Transonic Amplifiers. I was allowed to have complete control
of the circuit designs, & basic styling, as long as they were designed to be extremely reliable.
I just want to say, I must thank France Hall for giving me the chance to build something of
great quality that will endure for years to come. I also must thank John Hall for continuing
the Rickenbacker tradition of excellence and quality in building Guitars.
I am very proud to have been a part of Rickenbacker's history.

Bob Rissi
Attachments
bob transonic proto types single sml 3b.jpg
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

In support of transistors, my bass in process will be a bi-amped bass rig. I've a Peavey preamp with a tube side and solid state side. To drive the mids, I have an old Mesa Boogie tube power amp. To drive the woofers, I'm looking at used Crest solid state power amps.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Great photo, Bob! Do you recall the year that was made?
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

Wow, that might be the prototype Transonic 200 that Bob is leaning on. Amazing. I wonder where it is today.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”