Should I buy a TR100 with issues?

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Should I buy a TR100 with issues?

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi guys,
Someone here in Israel is selling a Rickenbacker TR100 amp, it's ultra-rare here in Israel (probably the only one...) and I am of course thinking about buying it even though I don't need another guitar amp...
Cosmetically the amp looks great, it just needs some cleaning.
The problems it has (that I could spot) :

1. It Hums when everything is on 0, the hum doesn't get stronger when the volume goes up (power caps?)
2. It wobbles the sound every once in a while, what I mean is that lets say that I play a single note and let it run - I'll hear some artifacts coming and going, hard to describe the artifacts but it sounds a bit like chorus coming and going or reversed phase in an offset playing along for half a second here and then.
3. It sounds very distorted on both channels, it simply doesn't sound clean at all.

The seller wants 1K NIS which is about $272, I don't mind investing up to this amount in fixing it but I don't want to buy a "project".
Any suggestions?
Does anyone who have this amp or ever serviced this amp know what could cause these issues?
How does this amp sound when it's fully functioning? does it worth to trouble??

Thanks in advance.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Should I buy a TR100 with issues?

Post by admin »

Gil: Do you know anything about the climatic conditions in which this amplifier was stored? I sounds like a project to me.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Israel is mostly hot and try so I guess these are the conditions,
The owner just flew for 3 months to India for a trip, I can ask him more when he returns.
I wonder if this amp is good enough to invest money and time in it, never read any reviews of the TR100.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gil: You may find the following links helpful from the RRF archives.
TR-100a
TR-100b
TR-100c
TR-100d
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

approach it as spare cab purchase :). the amp can be probably fixed - the question remains is it worth the trouble...?
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dusan: You raise a good point. Gil you did not say whether it was a combo model or the head/cabinet model. I was thinking combo.

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Peter: thanks for the links and the mail with the review, I read them all and still couldn't decide :)
It is a combo indeed.

Dusan: That's my question, if it's good enough to spend extra time and money fixing it...

I think I'll just contact the seller once he returns and ask him to fix them amp if he wants to sell it to me.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

gibsonlp wrote:Peter: thanks for the links and the mail with the review, I read them all and still couldn't decide :)
It is a combo indeed.

Dusan: That's my question, if it's good enough to spend extra time and money fixing it...

I think I'll just contact the seller once he returns and ask him to fix them amp if he wants to sell it to me.
exactly, if you don't like the sound it is pointless...gotta hear it first... it shouldn't be that expesive fix unless it is trasformer gone bad...
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Even if it's a transformer, it's a doable deal. Give the seller my info. I'll fix it for him. With shipping and the price of scarce parts, it's probably a budget buster, but what the heck, it's a TR-100. Y'only live once. :P
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Shipping?
From Israel to the US and back???
:)
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

The way you describe it.. it sounds like microfoning.(sp??) New tubes and possibly caps should fix it right up.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bartyclue wrote: microfoning.(sp??)
Microphonics.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Once had a guy send me a 4-10 Bassman from Australia! Just the chassis of course for a total overhaul. But seriously folks, it's not unusual to get a scarce Ricky in from just about anywhere. Some of the transistors are starting to get a bit pricey (supply and demand), but for the most part they're all restorable. And worth the effort.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

bartyclue wrote:The way you describe it.. it sounds like microfoning.(sp??) New tubes and possibly caps should fix it right up.
This is a Solid State amp :)
tracy wrote:Once had a guy send me a 4-10 Bassman from Australia! Just the chassis of course for a total overhaul. But seriously folks, it's not unusual to get a scarce Ricky in from just about anywhere. Some of the transistors are starting to get a bit pricey (supply and demand), but for the most part they're all restorable. And worth the effort.
Okay, I'll talk to him when he gets back. Thanks!

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”