Symfonia Grand amp

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Symfonia Grand amp

Post by jwilli »

I never even knew that these amps existed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 809wt_1141

Rickenbacker (Electro String) built a small number of Symfonia Grand instruments in 1962. Maybe less than 75. I own one, a friend owns another and Dave from Dave's guitar owns another. I believe that they were all basically single p/up (425s) in a rare Blueburst finish. Interestingly enough, they had rounded upper bouts (ala McCartney's customized bass) and used trapeze tailpieces. I recently saw this Symfonia Grand amp and had to have to have it. Cool!
Attachments
434209645_o.jpg
sfgrand2.jpg
sfgrand.jpg
superdick2112

Re: Symfonia Grand amp

Post by superdick2112 »

John, what a rare & beautiful set - congrats!
Yet another lesser-know but wonderful brand that I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Thanks, Richard. Man.....until a couple of days ago, i never knew that this brand of amp even existed. Of course, its a regular Rickenbacker amp renamed but rare as can be. I plan to have it restored. The Symfonia Grand guitar I own needs a total restoration. Someone tried to modify it for two pickups and a wider control cavity. UGH.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Wow! What an amazing find. What are the chances of that I wonder? Congrats John.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

BTW, the Symfonia Grand pictured above is owned by Dave @ Dave's Guitars.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Hi guys, yeah, the amp is super rare. Never had one in the shop but I'm assuming it's a single 6V6?

I once had a two pickup Contello so at this point nothing (or everything) surprises me.

That shaded blue isn't blueburst, it's softer. I asked F.C. about it back in '68. He called it "natural grain light blue". It impressed me enough that I wrote it down verbatum. Sometime in '69 I saw a single pickup Contello in the same finish; not yellowed at all, it was beautiful. A double bound n-g-l-b 360 hung in the Rick showroom for the longest time. I've always wanted a Miami in that color.

Is that very 360 owned by a Forumite? I see someone using it as an avatar.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

John, thanks for the cool photos of that guitar. That was a new one for me, never seen that body style or color before!
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Tracy, thanks for the info!
jfine
Professional Player

Post by jfine »

Wow! I learn something new all the time on this forum. I had no idea that brand even existed, but they're obviously made by Rickenbacker. There's no mention of these in any of the books I've read, but I'm going to find my copy of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide and see if it's in there--I've seen stuff in there that I've never seen elsewhere--but I don't think I'll find anything. I'd have remembered that! That natural/blueburst is beautiful.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Tracy, the tubes are (1) 6V6, (1) 5Y3 and (2) 12AX7.
Speaker is 12" Jensen.
Amp is maybe an E-12?
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

THANK YOU!
blueroofshaun

Post by blueroofshaun »

Great find!
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Thanks to a heads up from T. Blair, another Symfonia Grand found (and sold!) :D
Attachments
paine's 187.jpg
paine's 184.jpg
paine's 180.jpg
Superfeed

Post by Superfeed »

I have an amp very similar to this one. I actually got it from Seth Lover many years ago. I always thought it was some kind of accordion amp, because the only info I could find on Contello was about accordians. I have used it for playing many times, it’s a rocker! I’ve never had any work done to it. There is no nameplate on the grillcloth. Mine is different in that there are two volumes, one tremelo, and a tone, which is also the on/off. The lamp is green. 12”Jensen. It says Contello model SC5. My box looks well used and the grill cloth looks like maybe the amp got wet at one time. It sure beats humping around big power and 4x12 cab! I’ll post pics when I can. Very cool to see the info! Thanks, John
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Hi John, would love to see a pic of your Contello amp.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”