Fender Twin Reverb Amp

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

idealassets

Fender Twin Reverb Amp

Post by idealassets »

I have a shot at a used 100 watt Fender Twin Reverb amp for my Ric 360/12. The amp has (2)-12" speakers. It came in on trade at a local music store. I know the original owner, so I am convinced it was reasonably well cared for.

What I would like to find out is:
1. Is this a good amp for both the Ric 360 6 string and 12 string?
2. Is that too much power for an audience of 50 to 100 with a full band?
3. Is there a drawback to having too much power? (seems easy enough just to turn the amp & guitar down accordingly)
4. How long should the tubes last? I thought 20 years, but the salesman thought 1 year.
5. Does a seriuos player travel with a full replacement set of tubes to every show?

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Fender Twin Reverb Amp

Post by jps »

What vintage is the TR? There can be significant differences depending on when it was made. It will sound great (probably, again depending on vintage) with the Ricks, but 85 watts (most likely) to 100 watts is fine if you want to fill up a gym with 500 to 1000 people in it. :twisted: How loud is your band?

Depending on how often the amp is used, and how well it has been taken care of, the tubes can last decades, usually the preamp tubes can last indefinitely if they are good ones, the power tubes may need replacing (and biasing) more often.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

but 85 watts (most likely) to 100 watts is fine if you want to fill up a gym with 500 to 1000 people in it. How loud is your band?
So far maybe 200 is the most in the audience at pubs, etc. Also I will get the year it was manufactured tomorrow.

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

idealassets wrote:I have a shot at a used 100 watt Fender Twin Reverb amp for my Ric 360/12. The amp has (2)-12" speakers. It came in on trade at a local music store. I know the original owner, so I am convinced it was reasonably well cared for.

What I would like to find out is:
1. Is this a good amp for both the Ric 360 6 string and 12 string?
2. Is that too much power for an audience of 50 to 100 with a full band?
3. Is there a drawback to having too much power? (seems easy enough just to turn the amp & guitar down accordingly)
4. How long should the tubes last? I thought 20 years, but the salesman thought 1 year.
5. Does a seriuos player travel with a full replacement set of tubes to every show?

Thank you,
Craig
1. That's for you to decide, really. :wink: But, I am not fond of the Twin; I prefer Deluxe and the Hot Rod series.

2. Well, the volume knob is there for a reason. :lol: If you prefer the sound of a cranked amp, I would suggest a device that allows you to achieve that tone at a lower level (The proper term for this escapes me, sadly).

3. You should have a smaller amp, anyway. :wink:

4. The tube opinion varies from player to player. I'm not a stickler for mine; I believe they need time to peak, and if you aren't happy with the tubes, you can change them for another kind.

5. Not necessarily, because I've never done it (I've not played live much anyway). If that presents a problem, you should have some sort of backup amp.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:If you prefer the sound of a cranked amp, I would suggest a device that allows you to achieve that tone at a lower level (The proper term for this escapes me, sadly).
The proper term is smaller amp. :wink: :mrgreen:
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I recently bought an attenuator and it is a blessing. I like the sound of a tube amp cranked, but I've never played a place that can handle it. I have 15, 30, 40 and 60 watt amps, they're all too loud if I go for the full-bodied crankage w/o the attenuator. 100 watts! Way too much for a small to medium sized club, IMO. You'll have it on 2 and not get the flavor of the amp.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

Don't know if you're looking at the same Amp but if you are,

I have a 2 year old Fender Pro Tube Twin. It is the 100Watt model but also has 22Watt Cut Switch. 2 Eminance Spkrs. Removable Caster Wheels, Foot Switch & Cover.

I play my Rick's, Fender's, Gibson's, Epi & Gretsch thru it & it sounds great. It is a much more versatile Amp than a Std Twin Rev. IMO. The 22Watt
Cut Switch for one, it's also got a Dirty Channel & has real Tube Reverb & Tube Tremelo as well.

I have had 0 problems.

Good luck,

Glenn
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

shamustwin wrote:I recently bought an attenuator and it is a blessing. I like the sound of a tube amp cranked, but I've never played a place that can handle it. I have 15, 30, 40 and 60 watt amps, they're all too loud if I go for the full-bodied crankage w/o the attenuator. 100 watts! Way too much for a small to medium sized club, IMO. You'll have it on 2 and not get the flavor of the amp.
+1 on an attenuator!

The tone from a tube amp comes from pushing the output tubes to saturation where they start to "clip" (ie, slight distortion). The sound tubes make when they hit that level is a warm, fuzzy, hazy shimmer that transistors can't replicate. To get output tubes to saturation usually means getting gain (volume) which equates to turning it up. Fender Twins (except the tweed type) are usually so loud at that point you risk hearing damage (for you and the audience). :shock: Even Fender tweeds are loud!

An attenuator can allow you to reach output tube saturation, then lower the overall volume by dumping the output from the amp to the speakers through the attenuator, which dissipates excess volume through a massive heat sink or a speaker motor.

IMHO, with the size of audience you are shooting for, you'd be better off with a smaller amp (and an attenuator) 8) . Any larger venue will route your output through the sound board, anyway.

Attenuators are made by THD (Hotplate), Dr. Z, Weber (Mass & mini-mass), and others.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

My 1968 Twin Reverb, although it sounds great with my Ricks (and other brands), weighs a LOT, and the older I get the more important that factor becomes. :)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You need more weight as you get older? :shock:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote:You need more weight as you get older? :shock:
Inversely proportional, (weight of amp) ≈ (k/(age)) ... :roll: :shock: :lol:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:
jps wrote:You need more weight as you get older? :shock:
Inversely proportional, (weight of amp) ≈ (k/(age)) ... :roll: :shock: :lol:
That's why I got my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and custom LDS 2126 cabinet. 8) Total of about 60lbs. for great sounding and VERY LOUD (what did he say??? :shock: ) setup. :twisted:
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

I would say that the rule of thumb for any guitarist is to get the biggest and loudest amp that you can afford.
That way you can eliminate the need to listen to your idiot drummer or plankton bass player whilst playing. :twisted:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

FIREGLO67 wrote:I would say that the rule of thumb for any guitarist is to get the biggest and loudest amp that you can afford.
That way you can eliminate the need to listen to your idiot drummer or plankton bass player whilst playing. :twisted:
If he's going to go that route then it must be a Mesa Triple Rectifier full stack. :twisted:
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

As I'm reading your replies, I am getting my original thoughts confirmed. It appears to me that I really want a 40 or 60 watt amp. Also it wouldn't hurt to to have more than one amp.

For a job, the small intimate settings are quite nice, and having more than one amp may be the answer for diversification, and for a backup situation.

I recall that Aerosmyth was selling some of their touring equipment, and was astounded to see Joe Perry's 40 watt Fender amp for sale. It had a target painted on the grille for the PA mic to get orientated. 40 watts for Joe Perry could have been a stretch on the low end.

I really appreciate your combined imput due to the fact that for each new item I add to my equipment, its 100's or 1000's of dollars more. Often times the local guitar players don't have good equipment, and don't really know whats available. Additionally the local salesmen would allude to the adage of "bigger is better".

The attenuator sounds like a wonderful tool to look into. As was also mentioned, I like the look of a tweed DeVille, and the other smaller Fender amps that are currently available.

Due to playing both acoustic & electric 12 string, in the last wek I have picked up the TC Electronics Polytune worked in series with the Korg pitchbalck+ chromatic tuner. I want to have the 12 string standard/ alternate tuning right on, and without much delay in front of the audience. My next additions will be a Janglebox and volume pedal, and of course a good amp. I am currently using a 40 watt Fender Acoustasonic Junior, but don't want to crank up the Ric electric 12 string on it.

All these elctronic devices need good planning in order to avoid an excess of gear that is not all that useable.

-Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”