BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Re: Fender Twin Reverb Amp

Post by BuddyDog »

jps wrote:
doctorwho wrote:
jps wrote:You need more weight as you get older? :shock:
Inversely proportional, (weight of amp) ≈ (k/(age)) ... :roll: :shock: :lol:
That's why I got my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and custom LDS 2126 cabinet. 8) Total of about 60lbs. for great sounding and VERY LOUD (what did he say??? :shock: ) setup. :twisted:
So, that's why you have the earplugs in? :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I once tried to move a friend's Twin loaded with 2-JBL 120's by myself. (This was when I was young and foolish; now I'm just not so young!) Afterwards, I wandered if I'd ever have children! :shock:
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

So, that's why you have the earplugs in?
No doubt the earplugs must be prerequisite to enhance the non-distraction to derive pertinant formulae such as shown:
Inversely proportional, (weight of amp) ≈ (k/(age)) ...
To establish paramaters by which a musician may derive a basis upon which to conduct endeavors of music such that the variable (age) may not be restricitve or prohitibitive on the basis of known guitar amplification equipment constants, such as (available wattage per lb. of amplification weight), or w/A.

Actually, the amp I was interested in, but probaly won't get has wheels on it, but then again its getting it into and out of the car, & up the steps into the pub that might just be the clincher on going for a 40 watt, or so amp.

-Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I've got an early '90s Fender "The Twin" and it's a hefty amp. We have used it in a pinch to power the entire band (guitars and mikes) and even had the bass guy plug in during one gig! But we needed two men and a few boys to move the thing over any distance! Go light. It does make my RICs sound good (either 6 or 12 electric) but is probably way more amp than you really want. And, as eluded to here in the RRF, I haven't used it in maybe a decade due to the weight (wanna buy an amp?) as there are handier alternatives and I mostly just play into my computer nowadays.

Best,
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

If you decide on the TR, try the Weber mini-mass. I use one occasionally with my Dual Showman, and it's just what the doctor ordered for smaller gigs. I use it in my living room sometimes!!!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I love my hot rod deluxe. We've gone through several guitarists in my band and they all like it at gigs. It's a special edition with a Jensen speaker. Not sure how much difference that makes but, it's a winner
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

This is what I have. Great amp actually. But too heavy for most gigs.

http://www.riffmatrix.com/riffs/desc_86twin.html
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
jfine
Professional Player

Post by jfine »

I love Twin Reverbs--they sound good at lower volumes (very clean and full) and terrific when cranked for a little drive, but by that point they're ear-bleeding loud. I had one in the early-'70's, and the best sound I ever got from it was in a huge catering hall where I could really crank it--unfortunately, the speakers blew under all that power, and I had to finish the gig plugged directly into the PA (which sounded awful). They also weigh a bunch--65 lbs. for a standard one, and with JBL's or EV's they can get close to 100 lbs. A Hot Rod Deluxe seems to be a good modern alternative to a Twin, and at 40 watts it can be cranked at a slightly lower volume, although a cranked Hot Rod Deluxe is still pretty loud. I'm currently pushing 60 watts through 2-12" speakers (a Tech 21 Trademark 212), and it can definitely get too loud for the gig if I'm not careful--luckily it sounds good at low volume too. Most of the late-'60's San Francisco guys (myself included) used SG's through Twins, and it's a great sound, but unless you're playing big rooms and outdoor gigs it's just too darn loud--remember that amps weren't mic'ed much back then--the PA was for vocals and you had to fill the room with your amp. Monitors? We didn't have no stinkin' monitors--we had to rely on catching a little backwash from the mains to hear our vocals.
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

My 2 Cents... I tend to disagree with many posters on this but their opinions are well-founded...

I have always liked bigger (unfortunately heavier) twin combos... To my ears at least the extra power gives you more "... headroom" or a bit of a breathier sound, if that makes sense. And the twin configuration just sounds fuller. I know most gigs are MIC's and the lead guitarist in my band made fun of me for lugging around a Mesa Heartbreaker but that amp just had a spatial sound (even when plugged straight in) that was hard to replicate without a board of pedals. The only exception I have found to this rule is the Mesa Nomad and Mesa DC V which seem to sound full and breathy to me. I will probably inherit the Nomad and turn it into a head with a twin cabinet.

I currently play through the Heartbreaker, or an AC 30 (very tight and different) or a Reverberocket and am in the market for a nice Twin. Then, I am hunting down a JCM 800 Twin and I am done with amps. Not done with Ricks.

However, other posters are correct that this thing is capable of shredding your hearing so consider that, but the reverb is so lush.

Finally, I play rhythm guitar with as many open chords and spacings and voice'ings as I can think of so the qualities I've listed above suit me. I'd probably have a different opinion if I played nice, tight leads...

Sorry to babble but there you go.

JKC

PS Paul or someone mentioned an attenuator. I got one for about $20.00 on eBay (can't remember the maker) but it was a homemade one using Radio Shack parts and I thought it sounded thin. Is this just me or are there good ones out there? How are these different that a power brake like the Marshall Guvnor? Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

jcreasy wrote:My 2 Cents... I tend to disagree with many posters on this but their opinions are well-founded...

I have always liked bigger (unfortunately heavier) twin combos... To my ears at least the extra power gives you more "... headroom" or a bit of a breathier sound, if that makes sense. And the twin configuration just sounds fuller. I know most gigs are MIC's and the lead guitarist in my band made fun of me for lugging around a Mesa Heartbreaker but that amp just had a spatial sound (even when plugged straight in) that was hard to replicate without a board of pedals. The only exception I have found to this rule is the Mesa Nomad and Mesa DC V which seem to sound full and breathy to me. I will probably inherit the Nomad and turn it into a head with a twin cabinet.

I currently play through the Heartbreaker, or an AC 30 (very tight and different) or a Reverberocket and am in the market for a nice Twin. Then, I am hunting down a JCM 800 Twin and I am done with amps. Not done with Ricks.

However, other posters are correct that this thing is capable of shredding your hearing so consider that, but the reverb is so lush.

Finally, I play rhythm guitar with as many open chords and spacings and voice'ings as I can think of so the qualities I've listed above suit me. I'd probably have a different opinion if I played nice, tight leads...

Sorry to babble but there you go.

JKC

PS Paul or someone mentioned an attenuator. I got one for about $20.00 on eBay (can't remember the maker) but it was a homemade one using Radio Shack parts and I thought it sounded thin. Is this just me or are there good ones out there? How are these different that a power brake like the Marshall Guvnor? Sorry to hi-jack the thread.
Considering it was twenty bucks, and the ones I see are closer to 200 or 300... :lol: They retain the same tone. There is a Fender Princeton Recording amp with one built in that is really good for those you who love the Fender sound. 8)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I think a Fender Twin sounds great, but when I use one, I usually dial in the clean sound with it then get my overdrive through a Tube Screamer, Daddy-O, or both. They do sound lovely though. If you're outdoors at a show, then you can dial it up to about 5 and it will just start to break when played hard, IIRC.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
jcreasy

Post by jcreasy »

I've got a Daddy'O. Regarding attenuators... I know nothing about effects and stuff. I'll dig around a bit.

Still, love the Twins. The amps, that is... Not those Juicy Fruit Gals.

JKC
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

jcreasy wrote:I've got a Daddy'O. Regarding attenuators... I know nothing about effects and stuff. I'll dig around a bit.

Still, love the Twins. The amps, that is... Not those Juicy Fruit Gals.

JKC
Some people claim turning your amp up while controlling the volume with a volume-pedal works, but not in the same respect. It is something to try. :wink:
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

After all this good information, I have not responded due to a broken pinky finger on the fret hand. My search for amps will be halted until I know for sure how well this will come out.

Thank you,
Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

idealassets wrote:After all this good information, I have not responded due to a broken pinky finger on the fret hand. My search for amps will be halted until I know for sure how well this will come out.

Thank you,
Craig
I'm sorry to hear that, sir! I hope you recover without much change in your playing routine.

You still have an advantage: Tony Iommi and Django played with two fingers (Though Iommi wears rubbers on his middle two). So many guitarists neglect their pinky, which isn't a bad thing - I'm sure you'll adjust well.

I do have a traveling musician friend who played professional violin (Taught and studied in college), broke his pinky, and now plays a mean slide guitar. 8)

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”