Zep and Transonics

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Zep and Transonics

Post by whojamfan »

I have a debate going on with someone who insists Led Zeppelin were somehow forced to use Transonic amps and would have toured with something else if they had a choice. Somehow, I don't think this was the case, and I'd like to get a proper history on that to set the record straight. It is my understanding they were quite impressed with them.
johnhall
RIC

Re: Zep and Transonics

Post by johnhall »

I have no idea whether they were impressed with them or not, but they certainly were not forced to tour with them. They were offered the free use of them and took us up on our offer, and chose to use them for the entire tour, as I recall. They definitely could have chosen to use anything they wanted.

I do know there were some issue with speakers being blown on the tour. They left the factory with CTS and/or Altec Lansing speakers and as they used most of the 200 watts RMS these amps delivered all the time, the voice coils burned up sometimes. But as they blew, we replaced them with JBL's (D120's and D150's if I recall correctly) and there were no more problems.
Last edited by johnhall on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Thanks John :D
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

I just want to add that on a visit to the Rickenbacker showroom sometime in the late sixties, I had an opportunity to try out the new Transonics. I was very impressed at how loud they were; back in the day that was important. I wasn't sure how they'd fit into my budget but they sure were the cat's pajamas.

Francis Hall proudly stated that Steppenwolf and Led Zeppelin were using them on tour. I had never heard of Led Zeppelin.
Monolith

Post by Monolith »

johnhall wrote:I have no idea whether they were impressed with them or not, but they certainly were not forced to tour with them. They were offered the free use of them and took us up on our offer, and chose to use them for the entire tour, as I recall. They definitely could have chosen to use anything they wanted.

I do know there were some issue with speakers being blown on the tour. They left the factory with CTS and/or Altec Lansing speakers and as they used most of the 200 watts RMS these amps delivered all the time, the voice coils burned up sometimes. But as they blew, we replaced them with JBL's (D120's and D150's if I recall correctly) and there were no more problems.
John, this is a tremendously informative post. I want to thank you for it because there has LONG been conjecture that Jimmy Page had JBLs installed in his Transonic cabinets, but it has never been officially confirmed until just now.

Thanks again.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”