Transonic - cool article...

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dodecagon

Re: Transonic - cool article...

Post by dodecagon »

If I recall correctly, the Sunn Solos was a hybrid combo with tube preamp and solid state power amp in the early 70's. At the time I thought that was backwards because of the way others were doing it. In any case, after comparing it to a used Acoustic Control 260 solid state rig with it's cool turquoise horn, I thought the Solos sounded much better and bought it.

Over the years I have owned a number of solid state guitar amps, some sounded quite good (Lab Series L9, Gallien Krueger ML/E) others sounded terrible (Heathkit TA-16). One solid state amp (a SWTP stereo power amp built from a kit) burst into flames and fried my speakers in addition to destroying itself--the others were pretty reliable.

I have always loved the appearance of those big Transonic rigs, but have never had a chance to see one in person let alone play through it.
rickmanrick

Re: Transonic - cool article...

Post by rickmanrick »

I love those old Transonics. I've seen the Rissi has made his own Risson amps on ebay and I am thinking about getting one of those. Although, I wish he would redo the Transonics he designed.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”