Rickenbacker B-16 Supersonic

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RickB16

Rickenbacker B-16 Supersonic

Post by RickB16 »

I just grabbed one of these piggybacks with the 4 10 jensen cabinet off of craigslist.. looks like the former owner had it part to recap but died before he put it back together. going to power it up this coming week. anyone have any experience working on these?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Rickenbacker B-16 Supersonic

Post by libratune »

RickB16 wrote:looks like the former owner had it apart to recap but died before he put it back together.
That's not a good omen. Better get your affairs in order before you tackle that one . . .

I have A B-16 combo, but the amp chassis has been sitting on a tech's bench for the better part of a year now -- and I'm not sure I'll ever see it again . . . :(
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

libratune wrote:
RickB16 wrote:looks like the former owner had it apart to recap but died before he put it back together.
That's not a good omen. Better get your affairs in order before you tackle that one . . .
Maybe since Rick will be putting it back to get this will be his Fountain of Youth? :wink:
RickB16

Post by RickB16 »

the work looks solid and clean, lucky for me my friend is a great amp tech and has agreed to help me get it back to life.. i am not overly concerned.. expecting new electrolytics and tubes.

there isn't much info on these amps online, i take it to mean that they must be very rare.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

There are four B-16 combos on the Register with photos: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=

The B-16 also came in piggyback form, more examples: http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jps wrote:Maybe since Rick will be putting it back to get this will be his Fountain of Youth? :wink:
Um.....together! :roll:
RickB16

Post by RickB16 »

ah cool, yeah mine is a piggyback.. I bought it from the widow of the original owner, he had it apart for service and died in the 90s before he put it back together, he kept everything in baggies though so all the parts are accounted for save one or 2 minor things. this has the original ceramic jensens in place, looks good i just want to fire it up on a variac at my friends shop.. i expect new tubes etc will be required.

i just tried to register this but the serial # wouldn't go into the form.. i dated it to early 1966 off the pot date codes (45th week of 1965)
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

RickB16 wrote: i just tried to register this but the serial # wouldn't go into the form.. i dated it to early 1966 off the pot date codes (45th week of 1965)
If the serial no. is 4 numbers on the jackplate, just enter it like that and also enter the date as 1966-00. It should go through.
RickB16

Post by RickB16 »

it was 3 #s so i added a zero and it finally went in

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”